"Shrimp!" Throwdown (Entry & Discussion Thread) LASTS Through July 24th!

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our New Throwdown Category is..."Shrimp!"

Grilled%20Shrimp_zpsfgd0xl5q.jpg

As chosen by Tonybel for winning the "Lesser Known Cuts of Beef" Throwdown

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

Tonybel said:
How about Shrimp?
:thumb:

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 7/7 through the entry submission deadline of 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 7/24/17.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 12 p.m. (NOON) Central US Time on Monday 7/24/17

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns...

This thread is for all entries and general discussion of the category.

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][/FONT]
Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
I have a seafood n grits cook over in q talk, would it be eligible for this throwdown since I used more then shrimp as the main, and it was cooked on a gas grill? Is that allowed? Thanks! I'm a noob

Bummer, somehow I missed this post. Just cooked up some shrimp tacos this evening that were awesome. Did I take pics? Nope. :tsk: :tsk: :tsk:

Some simple blackened shrimp,catfish,scallops and grits!
Grits cooked in chicken broth with Gouda,Boursin,and cheddar cheese, bacon and green onions stirred in at the end.
Sauce is mater gravy with onions, but with white wine, garlic,slap yo mama seasoning, Wooster sauce, half/half, and fresh basil stirred in at end.
Seafood is catfish,scallops,shrimp heavily dusted with Paul's blackened redfish magic on cast iron skillet on gasser with a pat of butter. Turned out great! What's funny is 4 of 6 people heard scallops and said pass without trying em! So me and a bud ate all! I thought they were the star of the dish! I didn't realize scallops were not that widely popular! Pics don fail me now

Please enter plated pic as entry.

Bummer, somehow I missed this post. Just cooked up some shrimp tacos this evening that were awesome. Did I take pics? Nope. :tsk: :tsk: :tsk:

You still have till July 24th to submit an entry!

This is an entry!

I have been having a blast using my Instant Pot electric pressure cooker to make Indian and Vietnamese dishes. Pho has been one of my favorites since the Instant Pot cuts the cook time from hours to minutes. I have been craving Pho for the last week or so, and when I saw this TD I decided to make Shrimp Pho. I've been told that it is closer to Bun Mam, but I'm going with Pho :-D

Grilled Shrimp Pho

I used the typical pho spices (cinnamon stick, whole cloves, star anise, cardamom pods, coriander seeds and black peppercorns), charred onion and ginger and added a dried cayenne from a friend's garden. Here is my mise en place as I started the cook.

IMG_9856.jpg

I toasted the spices in a dry skillet on the stove top until aromatic. The smell in the kitchen at this step is crazy!

IMG_9857.jpg

I then charred the onion and ginger on the grill...

IMG_9858.jpg

Once that was done I put the loose spices into a tea ball and added them to the Instant Pot along with a bundle of cilantro stems, the shrimp shells and fish sauce in a mix of chicken bone broth (home made) and vegetable stock.

IMG_9860.jpg

IMG_9861.jpg

This cooked at high pressure for 30 minutes and then let the pressure reduce naturally (about 20 minutes).

While that was cooking I marinaded the shrimp in olive oil, lime juice and garlic and then grilled for a couple of minutes per side.

IMG_9862.jpg

When all was done I added some cooked rice noodles, some spiralized daikon radish and some sliced bok choy to my hand-thrown Pho bowl and ladled in the stock (I removed the spices, onions, etc.). Then I added bean sprouts, sliced jalapeño, sliced scallions, fresh mint and fresh basil and then the shrimp. Some Hoisin, Sriracha and fresh lime topped it off.

IMG_9865.jpg

IMG_9869.jpg

Please use this as my entry picture.

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: How? What? That looks spectacular:thumb: I can't believe I am gonna buy a Instant Pot from just seeing a picture? I love Pho! I actually forgot about BBQ for 5 minutes looking at this (wifey says that's impossible because I dream about BBQ) :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Cold Smoked Grilled Shrimp Snacks

Please accept this post as my entry into the shrimp Throwdown.

The ingredients:

2017-07-19 16.40.44.jpg

I mixed together a rub with a tsp of Old Bay and a few shakes of everything else. I poured the rub over the shrimp and mixed to evenly coat, then I added a Tbsp or 2 of Olive Oil, mixed and threw it in the fridge for an hour to "get happy".

2017-07-19 16.45.36.jpg

After marinading for and hour I fired up the A-Maz-N pellet tray for some cold smoke.

2017-07-19 17.13.41.jpg

While the smoker is getting ready I threaded the shrimp on some bamboo skewers, then put them on the smoker for about 20 min.

2017-07-19 17.23.45.jpg

2017-07-19 17.43.51.jpg

After 10 min of smoke I started preheating the grill. After 10 min of preheating it was ready for the shrimp.

2017-07-19 17.46.59.jpg

This is what they look like before they were devoured!! (please use this and my entry photo)

2017-07-19 17.49.24.jpg

Thanks!

Attachments

• 2017-07-19 17.47.06.jpg
    2017-07-19 17.47.06.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 193
Shrim TD entry

Please accept the final photo as my official entry. First photo is a salsa made of pineapple, avocado, tomato, jalapeno, and lime juice. Then the grilled Tequila-lime shrimp. Finally, the plated product, additionally, shredded cabbage, sour cream w/chili powder on the tacos and a margarita to enhance the meal.

Attachments

• Salsa.jpg
    Salsa.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 117
  • Shrimp.jpg
    Shrimp.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_20170722_195429327[2].jpg
    IMG_20170722_195429327[2].jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 648
By the way, you guys have me cooking things I never would have even thought twice about, just to be competitive with some of these dishes presented here. That is appreciated, because it's just like playing golf. If your playing partner is pretty good, then you tend to play better, and I have definitely improved since joining. Thanks!!

By the way, you guys have me cooking things I never would have even thought twice about, just to be competitive with some of these dishes presented here. That is appreciated, because it's just like playing golf. If your playing partner is pretty good, then you tend to play better, and I have definitely improved since joining. Thanks!!

Looking like you have a Great game in both Golf and BBQ! :thumb:

Official TD entry.

I mentioned Shrimp TD to my Wife (LuzziAnn) and she was all in.

A little music to listen to if you like.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRh9jqNLzWM"]Rusty & Doug Kershaw - Jambalaya on the Bayou - YouTube[/ame]

New Orleans Barbecue Shrimp

The ingredients:

Yn0S71Z.jpg

4 lbs of fresh shrimp. 10/12 count.

1GgC2Bz.jpg

Marinate made and shrimp prepped.

6tFCYWy.jpg

After a 2 hour soak in the fridge turning every 30 mins it thickened up nicely.

ODBYKxB.jpg

The Gasser got the call for this one as the recipe called for 400* for 20 mins.

aVxUbmI.jpg

I let it go another 10 mins what with opening for pics and such.

G6gibuU.jpg

Please use the pic below as the entry photo.

RT9zhdC.jpg

In a word, YUM! Recipe available on request.
Thanks for lookin'! :thumb:

Last edited:
Back