Basic Brisket Tutorial (pron heavy)

"If" you were to insert an internal temp probe, like a Maverick or a BBQ Guru, where on this brisket would you insert it since it is bent in half?

"If" you were to insert an internal temp probe, like a Maverick or a BBQ Guru, where on this brisket would you insert it since it is bent in half?

I wouldn't bend in half, although it worked.

A can or bowl or such can be used in most cases until enough shrinkage occurs. Just drape the brisket over the object

No matter how the brisket sits in the smoker, if you're gonna put a thermometer probe in it, it should be put into the thickest part of the flat.

Remember, though, the temperature should just be used as a gauge of when to start probing for tenderness. There's no hard and fast rule for temperature.
Some briskets are done at 187, while some don't give it up until above 205. It's all about tenderness.

I'm surprised that nobody by now has mentioned that the only use for a probe in a brisket has nothing to do with the temperature it's reading.

great tutorial. thanks to the original poster for creating it, and thanks to whomever bumped it for us newbs.

Ronelle, I'm pretty sure with the views and replies this should be made a sticky.

Any chance of that, Sir Pickle??

Thanks a lot. It seems simple, and straightforward enough. I approach my first brisket with a tad of anxiety. I see there was no butcher paper involved, just straight cooking. I do have a question regarding the burnt ends. What's the easiest way to get the rub on the cubed pieces? Just sprinkle on, or oat it on? Thanks again.

Rich

I don't claim to be the master of brisket. I am all for keeping things simple for beginners. That said, a lot of guys/gals, me included, elect to cut a fair amount of the fat out between the point and flat. The idea here is three-fold; 1)rub can't permeate fat and rub equals bark and flavor, 2)the fat between the point and flat tends to be hard and harder fat does not render out and 3)it is a myth that fat helps keep the finished product moist-moisture comes from collagen being properly broken down, not surface fat. Just my way of doing it, does not make it right. There are 50 ways to make a great brisket, maybe more.

Thx for that Fsonicsmith, we just got a packer not that long ago, started as 17lbs, when I was finished trimming the fat & separating the point from the flat I had trimmed 6lbs of fat off!Ended up with a 7lb flat & 4lb point. My husband thought I shouldn't have trimmed the fat between the point & flat. But it was the tough hard stuff that I knew just wasn't going to help. The flat tasted delicious, haven't cooked the point yet.

Got a question though in regards to the fat between the point & flat, what I didn't want to separate the two, but smoke the whole packer (trimmed only slightly) Would I just discard that fat after it's cooked, while I'm slicing?

Thanks... new to Brisket... Carolina Dude here so we are all about pig but just got back from TX and firing up the smoker to try my hand at Brisket. I don't expect anything like I sampled in San Antonio but with these hints and tips and directions I certainly expect nice results.

Back