Another Blackstone vs Camp Chef Flat Top

Should have mentioned that with the CC stove, there are multiple combinations. You could get a 3 burner stove and the 3 burner griddle. Or a slightly smaller 2 burner griddle which leaves a burner open for other uses. Or a single burner griddle leaving 2 burners open. Or a 2 burner stove and 2 burner griddle, or single burner griddle, yada, yada, yada.

On my camping trip, we had my 3 burner stove and 3 burner griddle and my uncle brought his 2 burner stove and 2 burner griddle. How the stoves and griddles were employed was determined by what we were cooking.

Another Blackstone 36 owner. Bought it during the sale last summer and I'm very happy with it.

I did go to Lowe's today and measured from the top of the stove minus the griddle to the bottom of the leg and it was 9 1/2 inches I was wondering if anybody can give me info on breakdown of the Campchef and measurements of the same.

What I meant to say was I measured the Blackstone and it was 9.5 inches.

:confused:Need to know what the Campchef would need for clearance after takedown.
...and how well does it work as a grill?

I can't tell from the pictures how it assembles, but I'm a pretty swell fabricator. LOL SWELL
UPDATE: Found the pdf https://www.campchef.com/media/manuals/FTG600_Manual.pdf

( ..is there a time limit for editing posts?)

Last edited:
Just an update, I ended up getting the camp chef as it came back in stock at outdoorcooking. I also ordered the cover to go with it. I wonder if the camp chef cover is better than the one for blackstone which is pretty bad from what I read.

Thanks again for all the comments.

Just an update, I ended up getting the camp chef as it came back in stock at outdoorcooking. I also ordered the cover to go with it. I wonder if the camp chef cover is better than the one for blackstone which is pretty bad from what I read.

Thanks again for all the comments.
I just sprung for the same deal: CC Flat Top + cover from outdoorcooking. Have had my eye on one for quite a while.

Decision made

Okay, Had the wife order the Camp Chef FTG600, I really liked the Forma factor of the Blackstone and I did take a close look at it at Lowes, but I think for $299 The Camp Chef had more to offer, and Because of those things.... Handle, Heat distrobution plate, Better grease catch, skirted wind resistant griddle, Separate ignitors, an actual grill under the griddle (an extra buy for the Blackstone), the fact that after I take it apart I should be able to slide it into the basement of the RV ( the Blackstone was 9.5 inches and would fit but had protrusions that would make it harder to slide), I think The Camp Chef will fit in well. I'm hoping the height on the Camp Chef isn't too high once I take the Legs off. I tried to get an answer on that height from this forum, and Camp Chef themselves but still have received no response.

After I get a chance to use it I will write back. Happy Grillin!

You lost me at vegetables.

Camp Chef FTG600 Report

Okay received Camp Chef Flat Top Grill a few days after ordering and I live in NY....Not too bad. This thing came packed so well I think they may have spent almost as much time on the packaging as they did on the Grill Build LOL.
After unpacking I slapped it together in about 10 minutes with my 16 year old daughter. It comes with 6mm flat head screws at about 1/2 inch in length. They use punch style rivet nuts (not sure what they are really called), they seem to work pretty good, just question longevity.

Now I bought this for use with the RV, The height of the grill portion without the griddle parked on top is 7.5 inches (smaller then the Blackstone), WITH the griddle parked onto is 10.5 inches.
This fits very nicely in the basement compartment between the frame and subfloor in a 94 Winnebago Adventurer. I will most likely make a mount to attach to my rear cargo carrier or a quick stand for it down the road, but take 10 of those screws out (need a 10 mm wench and a phillips head on six of them) and pull the grill off the stand...NOT BAD.

I used the Griddle twice it very nicely sautéed mushrooms and cooked a few strips. I much rather would have cooked meat on a fire pit or grill but they were also good on the griddle. Breakfast cooked very well and will be the main purpose for this griddle. It did hash browns nicely, Bacon awesome and even some over easy eggs.

PROS - everything already mentioned...Better Grease catch, Skirted wind resistant griddle, 4 self igniting burners, no noticeable cold/hot spots, cleans well, operates as a grill also, Carry handle on back of griddle. Heat diffuser on bottom of Griddle.

CONS - Stand may not be as good as Black-stone?, Don't use high heat or griddle will start to warp (luckily i noticed before I caused serious damage), Left side of griddle did seam to run cooler(may be just the angle of the setup), not as much room as the Blackstone, Unpacking took longer then setting it up.

Haven't actually cooked on the Blackstone, and I do like the looks of the Blackstone better. But i'm glad at this point I went with the CampChef as it does fit better under the RV. In defense of the Blackstone...the higher height is due to the leg protrusions that allow it the be set-up more quickly.

Hope this helps somebody, thanks all!

Back