West, Texas Cookoff last weekend

tony76248

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
It was my second cookoff. I noticed a few other Brethren brothers there. Chromesporty, DeeZQ and myself that I knew of. I went looking for Chromesporty after the awards were given and he was gone. We will have to wait and see if he made any final tables. I did not see him take a walk.

The competition was tough. There were 101 pits entered, with over $10k in prize money. They paid through 15 places in all three categories. Congrats to DeezQ (Eric Holtzer), he won second place in the Chicken category and received a nice farkin check ($450) and big farkin trophy. I will get some pics posted soon.

I ended up making it to the final table in the brisket category but was shut out of the money. I do think I have a better idea of what They are looking for though. (3PM turn-in)

I made what I thought were awesome ribs and checked to see if I even made it to the quarter finals and didn't... I think I may have just gotten the wrong table...that's my story and I am sticking to it. (1PM turn-in)

My chicken was not good. I had a problem with it getting finished in time and ended up stoking up the flames and burned the end of one of the legs. Not really too upset about that, it's all a part of the learning process. I just need to manage my time a wee bit better. (11AM turn-in)

My wife was a judge in all three categories....I think she learned more than I did.

Main lesson learned.... was do not party so hard....we got in Thursday prior to noon and stayed up all night on Thursday. Was just a little sluggish Friday and my gills are still green today.

This was an IBCA sanctioned event, so they paid very well to all places in the top 15, 15th actually received a check for $100. The winner was David Higginbotham with Big H C/T (1st/1st/2nd) Reserve went to Ronnie Wade with Blazing BBQ.

The folks in West, TX were great. West is a little town just north of Waco, TX with a large Czech population. They served us Kolaches on Saturday, they were good too. Our first night in, we asked where we could buy some fire wood, within two hours they delivered to us free of charge about a half cord of fire wood. One of the locals offered Eric (DeezQ) the chance to participate in a tractor pull riding one of his tractors. The logistics just didn't work out on Saturday due to the turn-in times, but Eric was all stoked for most of Thursday and Friday. You will get it next time bro!

I will post some pics when I get the chance.

West is a great place, and a great contest. Ronnie and Michelle Wade can BOTH cook!

Jorge said:
West is a great place, and a great contest. Ronnie and Michelle Wade can BOTH cook!

Jorge, David scored 44 out of a possible 45 while Ronnie got 27.....That was not even close.

I did not see MIchelle place in anything, I am not sure she competed. Both Maynards did though and Toni placed in all three categories while her husband placed in none.

I am gonna try my luck at a smaller cookoff next. I still have to get over the learning curve.....a bunch.

Last edited:
The most important thing is that you had a good time out there! Everything else is gravy!

Tony,
were you guys close to the idiot with the siren? I heard he was blasting away at 2:00am :twisted: Glad to see you made the final table y'all get there keep it up:-D

Thanks Tony. I only wish I was as much ahead of the learning curve as you already are at this point. Great job to everyone and thanks to those that Hosted this soon to be annual attended event.

Dustaway said:
Tony,
were you guys close to the idiot with the siren? I heard he was blasting away at 2:00am :twisted: Glad to see you made the final table y'all get there keep it up:-D

Yeah, I heard the siren all night long. Those guys who owned the siren were great, but the siren itself was a real downer. Glad we were far enough away that we could laugh about it. I actually had them turn it off once, five minutes later it was back on. It was a fire truck replica like smoker.

Talk about that farkin siren, we were right across from him. Way too close for comfort. We didn't do to well in our first comp. Talk about a learning curve, Geez. I just thought I knew how to cook bbq. Overcooked the brisket, overcooked the ribs and the chicken, who knows? The chicken was the only catagory we had a shot at. Just before the awards started, Eric told me he had cooked an awsome chicken Thursday night and was real excited until he cooked the comp chicken, said he was disappointed in it. Second place, I'd like to taste the chicken he really liked.

Had a great time and got to meet some brethren to boot. If ya ever get the chance to to try some of Tony's smoked bologna with that awesome sauce to dip it in, don't pass it up. My next contest is the Terrell Heritage Jubilee April 20-21. In the mean time, I'm gonna take Lynn's advice and help with the judging at the Kilgore contest. She says it'll help speed up the learnin' curve. Also gonna practice, practice and more practice.

DeezQ said:
Thanks Tony. I only wish I was as much ahead of the learning curve as you already are at this point. Great job to everyone and thanks to those that Hosted this soon to be annual attended event.

Thanks Bro, I appreciate the comments and look forward to competing with you again.

Pics from West!

Royce and Larry (Chromesporty) myself and my wife.

WestCookoff014.jpg

Habanero Hooch...... We drank half of it and the remainder went into our gas tank.

WestCookoff009.jpg

Eric making some stuffed pork tenderloin!

WestCookoff001-1.jpg

Great pics! I love it when brethren get together and have a good time! Now where can I get some of that habanero hooch?

Bigmista said:
Great pics! I love it when brethren get together and have a good time! Now where can I get some of that habanero hooch?

Just put some habanero peppers in a jar of cheap vodka and in two days your lips will be burning. I do cut the tops off the peppers to allow the heat to mingle with the vodka better!

:eek:

Yes West is a great town for a C/O we went there last year to the Knights of Columbus event I hope to go back once my year as President is up

tony76248 said:
Just put some habanero peppers in a jar of cheap vodka and in two days your lips will be burning. I do cut the tops off the peppers to allow the heat to mingle with the vodka better!

:eek:

Ever make some spicy Bloody Mary's out of that stuff? I'll bet that would be awesome!

smpa86 said:
Ever make some spicy Bloody Mary's out of that stuff? I'll bet that would be awesome!

That was what we made it for initially. Then we got to sipping on it and had to replenish the vodka. You would be amazed at how quick it gets back up to full strength when you add more vodka. I normally use Absolute Peppar for BMs. Plus horseradish...that is the kicker.

tony76248 said:
That was what we made it for initially. Then we got to sipping on it and had to replenish the vodka. You would be amazed at how quick it gets back up to full strength when you add more vodka. I normally use Absolute Peppar for BMs. Plus horseradish...that is the kicker.

Horseradish in a BM...now why haven't I thought of that!

A wise man once told me not to worry about getting "hot" food to the judges. He said by the time they bite into an entry its cold, bottom line. The things sit on the tables for 15 minutes, then get opened 3 or 4 times to look at then get passed around, their just cold. He said that the best you can shoot for is a little above room temp. I don't know if it's true or not but anyone agree with this?

Back