• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Battle of the BBQ Brethren Nation-wide?

Jeff_in_KC

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has given any thought to holding BOBBQB contests in every state or at least every region. Could do a Brethren ToY as well. Not sure how to make it work but it was just a thought I had when I saw the banner for the PA contest.

Sounds like a new sanctioning body. I like the sound of BOBBQB better than the KCBS.

Not putting a negative spin on it but how would doing this improve comp BBQ? There are many more than qualified and established sanctioning bodies already out there that are doing an outstanding job.

Be great to see multiple BotB contests nationwide. Hopefully, we can get several more in the 2011 season. First step is to get some out of area organizers to come on board and second to see what we can bring to the table to help them. At this point, it doesnt necessarily have to mean its additional or different sanctioning, but more of an established and proven footprint. I would think that can start with an ancillary event (like we did at BotB '09) and we move forward from there as it grows and gets established. Its open for discussion!

I think its a great idea. I think with the following that the Brethren has alot of people would probably step up to help out. I would be happy to help out in anyway that i can. I would actually be proud to help out. This Forum has helped me thru the years and i think has helped many people as well. With all the complaints that people have about the KCBS why would this be a bad thing. And to say that there are established and qualified sanctioning bodies out there i dont think is a reason to not trying to go forward with what is being discussed. What sanctioning bodies are nation wide other then KCBS? And it doesnt always mean that you have to be against a sanctioning body but you can always work WITH another sanctioning body to make something better.

Not putting a negative spin on it but how would doing this improve comp BBQ? There are many more than qualified and established sanctioning bodies already out there that are doing an outstanding job.
Not for nuthin' Steve, but with all the developments at the KCBS, I would think that people would jump at the possibility of a true nationwide santioning body that has learned from the experiences, both good and bad of all the sanctioning bodies. I think the idea has merit and is worth pursuit. Why not create an organization that has learned from the caveats and triumphs of the past and is not geographically centralized? I have a feeling that the planning has been done and the infrastructure is ready to be put in place. I think the last piece of the puzzle is to get the Event Coordinators and Teams to buy in. If everyone is as abashed with the KCBS as they say they are, I think it is just a matter of time.

Not for nuthin' Steve, but with all the developments at the KCBS, I would think that people would jump at the possibility of a true nationwide santioning body that has learned from the experiences, both good and bad of all the sanctioning bodies. I think the idea has merit and is worth pursuit. Why not create an organization that has learned from the caveats and triumphs of the past and is not geographically centralized? I have a feeling that the planning has been done and the infrastructure is ready to be put in place. I think the last piece of the puzzle is to get the Event Coordinators and Teams to buy in. If everyone is as abashed with the KCBS as they say they are, I think it is just a matter of time.

As a disclaimer I would like to state that I am not against this idea, I am just intereste din open discussion about it.

I dont see any "developments" that KCBS has made that has made them any worse. The only time that I hear bashing and questioning of KCBS and its practices is during the off-season(cabin fever?) Once the BBQ season starts most seem happy (with the exception of reps that get in SmokeInDaEyes way b4 turn in. I have doing KCBS contests for 5 years and to tell you the truth little has really changed for me.

Personally I dont think many organizers will change from KCBS. Am i Unhappy with KCBS? NO. WOuld I like to do a contest under a different sanctioning body ? Absolutely. That being said , over the past year I have spoken to numerous organizers of existing events as well as a few who are starting new events about using a different sanctioning body other than KCBS ( The alternate that I suggested was the FBA) They all basically had the same responses. That they didnt want to get away from KCBS, They were comfortable with the way they run the contests, worried that they would lose teams etc.

i dont know much about FBA, but do they have contest in other areas other then florida and are they trying to become more nationwide or do they want to be more regional.

I too am interested in this discussion. I would love to see BOtB in the Cali Central Coast to have maximum teams compete.

i dont know much about FBA, but do they have contest in other areas other then florida and are they trying to become more nationwide or do they want to be more regional.

They currently sanction contests on Florida , Georgia, and Alabama. I cannot speak on behalf of them as far as expansions plans go. The current president is a member here , maybe he will chime in.

I would love to have a BotB in the Nashville area, open to all TN teams. Not sure if it would be best to have it sanctioned by an existing body or non right now. I wouldn't deviate from KCBS unless it was going to be significantly different, but that's me. Lemme know if those happens!

dmp

BothB events are KCBS Sanctioned events right now unless they cannot make sanctioning for whatever reason(Financial, 90 day deadline, different rules, etc). So the events can be sanctioned or unsanctioned. Sanctioning can be by ANY sanctioning body if an organizer wants it that way. I am of the school that sanctioning brings credibility and a level of comfort to a contest in the eyes of the teams. Again, what the future holds remains to be seen regarding "other" sanctioning compared to whats available today. :cool:

What we are working on is what WE can bring to the table to enhance a contest. What the future will hold is still on paper, but the current challenge is what value can we add to a contest or organizer to entice them. BotB 09 had the grilling challenge with onsite judging(and a specific rulebook) that was a huge hit, that can be a start as part of the footprint. Our strength is in our networking, and i am just today talking with some national advertisers who may be interested in adding prizes to the contests.

Good discussion.. Id like to hear more input. (Especially from organizers) :becky:

All depend on how its labeled and perceived as well. I know that I have heard from many teams in the past that they thought the long island contest "the battle of the bbq brethren" was only for brethren members. At New Holland a few people who had seen the banner up top for raystown asked the same question when it was changed to Botb/PA.If i werent in "the know" I might be confused as well

All depend on how its labeled and perceived as well. I know that I have heard from many teams in the past that they thought the long island contest "the battle of the bbq brethren" was only for brethren members. At New Holland a few people who had seen the banner up top for raystown asked the same question when it was changed to Botb/PA.If i werent in "the know" I might be confused as well

Can you define "might"?...

Can you define "might"?...

—used in auxiliary function to express permission, liberty, probability, possibility in the past <the president might do nothing without the board's consent> or a present condition contrary to fact <if you were older you might understand> or less probability or possibility than may <might get there before it rains> or as a polite alternative to may <might I ask who is calling> or to ought or should <you might at least apologize>

Maybe a big question is who is the audience? Are the BotB comps supposed to attract the brethren who are world champions and compete weekly, or is it to attract some of the Q Talk folks who just make good Q to see who makes the best?

dmp

They currently sanction contests on Florida , Georgia, and Alabama. I cannot speak on behalf of them as far as expansions plans go. The current president is a member here , maybe he will chime in.
We are always open to expansion requests. We have sanctioned contests in AL, FL, GA, TN, and the country of Panama. There is typically a little extra expense involved with the first contest as we train Reps and judges to our system, but generally speaking, once in place you're good to go. We have discussed this in the past on the BOD and we're set to mobilize :phone:

Signed,
The prez...

Back