UDS/WSM Insulation for cold weather cooking

SteveKing

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
What are people using around their UDS for insulation. I've seen pictures of welding blankets, but I've also seen some sort of metallic bubble material (not sure what this stuff is called). Any benefits/cons for one over the other? My buddy is planning on cooking next week with his UDS and the weather doesn't look good, he asked me and I honestly don't know because I usually leave my cooking to warm weather.

I don't use anything....my wsm is located in a spot that gets a little wind protection but not much. I don't use gaskets or anything like that. I may use a little more fuel in really cold weather but I don't have issues maintaining temps running it like this....I routinely cook in temps in the teens and 20's and have run several times in below zero temps without issues.

some sort of metallic bubble material

This stuff is called Reflectrix, I picked up a roll at Lowe's.

It works well, I bought because one windy & drizzly Thanksgiving I was trying to roast the turkey in the WSM, and had a hard time maintaining 300+. With a Reflectrix jacket blocking the wind & moisture, problem solved. Not pretty as this, but it only costs about a dollar!

I tried the silver bubble insulation once, it made my WSM look like R2-D2 which was very cool. Other than making the Star Wars fanboy in me happy, there really was not much of a benefit versus opening a vent a little more to maintain temperature.

This stuff is called Reflectrix, I picked up a roll at Lowe's.

It works well, I bought because one windy & drizzly Thanksgiving I was trying to roast the turkey in the WSM, and had a hard time maintaining 300+. With a Reflectrix jacket blocking the wind & moisture, problem solved. Not pretty as this, but it only costs about a dollar!

That's a slick jacket they make!

This reflectix stuff, can you wrap it around a UDS? Will it melt if it keeps contact with a hot drum? It doesn't give a temperature rating, just Class 1 / Class A fire rating

Will it melt if it keeps contact with a hot drum?

I wouldn't trust it to touch the smoker for an extended period, it's basically bubble-wrap inside. It's stiff enough so that if you roll & tape a cylinder larger that the smoker (WSM in my case), it can stand on it's own with some airspace between. incidental contact didn't seem to be a problem. Then I cut and taped a hood over the top.

And yes, it does look like R2D2 landed in your yard, hope your neighbors have a sense of humor (or appreciate the occasional rib tossed over the fence).

This was a worthwhile mod for hi-temp cooking in inclement weather. It's not needed if you're doing low'n'slow, but would probably save you from refueling as much.

Reflectix at Home Depot.....FWISmoker style......

Last edited:
I've never had trouble holding temps in my WSM in cold weather - cook often in the winter with temps from single digits to 30's.

I'm really kind of surprised the reflectix would work very well since the heat can just flow out the top.

That Reflectix used the way Smitty did in his picture works great. When I used it for my 22.5" WSM, I think I made a ring with enough room for 2 or 3 inches away from the WSM on all sides.

IMG_3347_zpsgnm5gaqx.jpg

You be surprised how much warmer it was inside that wall, even with no cover for the top.

I started out with a welding blanket. The first time I went to use it, I got fiberglass shards in my hands (I know, wear gloves). After that, I thought, what if those shards got in my food instead of my hands. Never used it again. Gave it to a buddy who was taking up welding...

No noticeable difference welding blanket or not That I have ever seen. I cook year round.

I'm really kind of surprised the reflectix would work very well since the heat can just flow out the top.

I knew I had an old photo. Get your light saber ready!

Seriously though, covering the top will help keep wind/rain from dropping your temp. I only used this for hi-temp cooks or in a deluge where I didn't want the bottom to load up with water.

Attachments

• 2006_1215_162856AA_edited-1-1.jpg
    2006_1215_162856AA_edited-1-1.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 81
I'm with Krex on this.
I've cooked on my WSMs in sub-zero temps pretty often. The biggest thing is to block the wind. That's what kills your temps.

I knew I had an old photo. Get your light saber ready!

Seriously though, covering the top will help keep wind/rain from dropping your temp. I only used this for hi-temp cooks or in a deluge where I didn't want the bottom to load up with water.

I showed this thread to my buddy and he likes this idea the best.

Thanks everyone!

EDIT: Reply didn't include photo for some reason. Click on thread link to see photo.

-

That's a slick jacket they make!

This reflectix stuff, can you wrap it around a UDS? Will it melt if it keeps contact with a hot drum? It doesn't give a temperature rating, just Class 1 / Class A fire rating

I've had it wrapped tightly to my UDS for 2 years with no ill affects.
Edit: I mostly cook briskets at 275*-325* for about 8 hours.

Last edited:
I'm surprized you would need anything. I smoked pork roasts in -32C for six hours with no issues. All I had to do was open up the intakes a bit more (not much though)so it would keep the temps I wanted. But doing that you want to make sure you have enough charcoal in the basket. Keeping it out of the wind helped also.

Back