Best bbq paint for UDS?

Petee_c

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
My UDS is a couple years old, and I am having problems with the paint and rust showing up on the outside.

I've been using cheap aerosol bbq paint from the surplus store. The initial time I painted it, I only used 1 can of paint, and I guess the coats of paint were too thin, because I had a lot of problems with rust after the 1st year.

Last spring I used a wire brush cup on my angle grinder and got rid of the rust marks and repainted with 2 cans of the same bbq paint from the surplus store.

The paint has held up a lot better this year, but I am still getting rust near the bottom where I have the holes for my intake nipples. I have minor rust stains other places where I can see grease runs down the Weber lid that I use.

Looking for a paint recommendation so this doesn't become a yearly ritual.

Thanks
Peter

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

I always had to repaint or touch up mine every 6 months or so with Rustoleum BBQ rattle can paint........same with my other smokers.

Last edited:
There's a high heat paint at Sherwin Williams that is used on the higher end pits. If you wanted to go that route.

I believe it's the HEAT-FLEX line of paints but don't quote me on that

I am getting ready to paint mine...plan on using the high heat automotive paint from Auto Zone.

You can get a variety of colors (I still can't decide between a Denver Broncos theme or the University of Arizona) and it is rated for a higher heat than the generic BBQ paint.

My UDS is less than a year old, but I just keep a couple of cheap cans of ol fashioned rustoleum bbq flat black and just give her a quick hit once a month or so. But mine isn't a pretty UDS and I don't alway wipe it down too much. Just a quick hose hit, dry and touch up any spots. I figure if I do that every few months eventually it will build up and I'll have a 1/2" thick drum ;-)

For me, the key thing is to remove all the rust - sounds like you did the right thing when you took the wire brush to it, but it is very difficult to actually remove every speck of rust - if you don't, it really doesn't matter what type of paint you use, the rust will eventually come through...

I would suggest sanding back to the original metal, maybe even using some rust removal goop, then coating heavily with paint in order to prevent any air from getting to the surface...

Good Luck!!:biggrin1:

I had my UDS powder coated. Nothing special as far as high heat or anything. I believe I paid around $80.00. Going on year 3 and still looks great. I believe they cure the powder beteeen 550 and 600 F so it's good for every bit of that.

I gave up on paint after leaving my barrel at my beach house for three years. Now it has that "rat rod" look.

Back