Egg Wins

OneHump

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Based on my limited experience, there is no better cooker than an Egg. After cooking hundreds of slabs on various WSMs and a BW FatBoy, I cooked perfection last night on a LBGE, and didn't even try.

I've had an XL for a couple of years, but limited its use for butts, roasting and grilling. My WSMs have always been my first choice for ribs, and they do a good job on butts too. I did Harry's Soo's class a couple of years ago and learned his way, and it worked out pretty well, but not as well as what I did last night on a BGE.

After moving, I recently bought a large. I had a couple of slabs of spares in the fridge that were going to go bad, so I dusted them with SM Sweet and Spicy and threw them on. No prepping and rubbing the night before, no spraying or foiling with apple juice, brown sugar and honey, nope, none of that.

I threw them on and forgot about them until I glazed them with Bart's Blazin' Q BBQ Sauce. Pulled them at about 5 hours at which time I tasted the best slab of ribs that I've ever made.

I suck at brisket, however, the absolute best brisket that I've ever tasted came off of an Egg, thanks go John (R2Egg2Q). Harry's isn't even close.

They aren't cheap but I'm finally sold. Time to get rid of the WSMs and buy another LBGE. Can't forget plenty of Bart's insanely good sauce to go with 'em.

...time to go check on my boneless leg of lamb.

I completely agree that ribs on an Egg are simple and really damn good. My large BGE is my cooker of choice for ribs. Glad yours came out great and really happy to see you posting again!!

I have mad respect for all the cookers....and even more for the cooks that use them but I love my BGE

How many rib racks can you lay flat on a LBGE?

I own a bunch of different cookers,WAY more than in my profile,I need to update that.The BGE is the PRIMA DONNA in my arsenal.Great choice.Congrats.

Enjoy mine a lot. Sits on my deck outside the kitchen where I can see the thermometer from inside. Great on really hot or really cold days. Ribs are my favorite cook. Can do 4 slabs of trimmed spares on the Adjustable Rig... 6 if I want to put the stone on the spider and use all 3 racks for meat. If I use the Digi Q, I can set it and forget it... Just like a pellet smoker.

For the price of a large green egg I myself would rather a backwoods smoker a party is dam close to the same price

Glad to hear your passion for BBQ has continued!

In fairness, that BW Fatboy just wasn't the right cooker for the backyard cook. It has done ok in contests though. It went on a road trip to KC a couple months ago and represented very well. :)

Don't be fooled, folks. The BGE is the only cooker that you should be using.

Actually, I'm just kidding, there are plenty of fine cookers out there, and the BWS that huminie bought from me was one of them. It was just overkill for what I was trying to do.

Between my ribs that other night, and John's brisket, I'm convinced that the BGE is a great smoker. I do, however, prefer a kettle for grilling.

I thought you had died or something, good to see you back.

I did recently cook some excellent ribs on a large BGE, but, I will stick with my UDS for a while longer. I would love a BGE, and a WSM as well. John does a great brisket, that is for sure.

John does a great brisket, that is for sure.
I must say, that was some of the best brisket I have had in a really long time. Diffidently competition quality. If I were judging it, a solid 9 for taste and texture.

I must say, that was some of the best brisket I have had in a really long time. Diffidently competition quality. If I were judging it, a solid 9 for taste and texture.

A pair of 9s wahoo! Coming from a CBJ & comp cook that you are, I'll gladly take that. I was happy with the taste & tenderness of the one I cooked for the last Bash but I'll admit it wasn't the best looking one I've cooked and I certainly wasn't going to build a box for anyone ;).

You guys are at risk of inflating my ego with the compliments but as Onehump pointed out, the Egg is a great brisket cooker so I won't let it go to my head.

It was great to see Onehump at the Bash and I'm glad to see him posting again!

Back