Santa Maria Mod...paella

tom b

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Mrs.B wanted paella and she wanted to make it over a live fire. My expaned metal cook grate is pretty warped and I thought with all the liqued the pan should set level. Pretty simple just some flat stock and a few ss screws nuts and lock washers. It is easily removable for storage.

there is eve enough room for side grate if desired (not part of the plan originally)

Stephanie ran out for supplies, I'm gonna light a fire. We don't know what we are doing but watched a few vid's and bought a starter kit at World Market.

Oh yea! So do we have to wait for Mrs B to show us the food?

it was pretty good coulda used a bit more spice IMO pron to come Stephanie is gonna get up some pron, I'm kinda drunk lol

apparently i am up. Tom cooked chorizo in olive oil.

took those off and put in onion and garlic

added mushroom and green onion

next added the rice paella mix. It was a prefab from world market. Next time we might do something different. More authentic.
let it go 12 minutes or so

Put chorizo and Mahi in and added seasonings: smoked paprika, oregano, saffron

added clams and mussels waited 6 minutes and threw in the shrimp and scallops

as the mussels and clams opened we took them out to not over cook, don't know if that is a thing but figured we would put back in during the resting period to warm.

added green peas

let it sit 15 minuutes

SHHH!! it's resting

It was tasty... My daughter who got back from Europe last month said it was better then the Paella she had in Barcelona.

So it didn't suck. Great start.
However next time we want to add some seasoning with bite, like red pepper. Thank you for looking

Wow! Great looking cook right there! I love paella but never really thought about making it till I saw this - very nicely done!

Wow! Great looking cook right there! I love paella but never really thought about making it till I saw this - very nicely done!

Thank you. It was fun to cook. A little nerve racking cuz we weren't sure what we were doing. Give it a try. We were worried the rice wouldn't cook but turned out great. The cook recipes make it a lot drier but I really liked the sauce being wetter. And I was worried the fish would get over cooked if we let it get to dry.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
^^^yeah there are a lot of variables and parameters! Looks like y'all did very well with it!

This thread won me over when you turned it over to this Mrs "I'm kinda drunk". Where's the socarrat shot? Looks delish tho!

Wow, looks like y'all knocked it out of the park on the very first try! Now I'm inspired. One question, did you need to use the Santa Maria to adjust heat throughout the cook?

Check out nakedwhiz.com. He's got a great background, setup, measurements based on paella size and step by step. I've cooked several on my kettle and they turn out great. There's an infinite number of varieties. I cook the shellfish separately to open them up then throw them on the paella at the end. You need to bloom the saffron in stock or wine before adding to the paella, this way you'll get the full flavor. I use fish stock or chicken stock instead of water with the rice.

Looks amazing. I'll have to check out World Market and see if I can find that kit....guess I need to find a pan too!

Great work!

Oh yes!!! That's just made me happy if you know what I mean. Looks amazing and well done guys. :thumb: :thumb:

Check out nakedwhiz.com. He's got a great background, setup, measurements based on paella size and step by step. I've cooked several on my kettle and they turn out great. There's an infinite number of varieties. I cook the shellfish separately to open them up then throw them on the paella at the end. You need to bloom the saffron in stock or wine before adding to the paella, this way you'll get the full flavor. I use fish stock or chicken stock instead of water with the rice.

Thanks. I was wondering about the saffron. When you pay more for it then gold it seems like it deserves special treatment. I'll do that next time. We used fish stock and a little white wine. The stock was great.

Oh yes!!! That's just made me happy if you know what I mean. Looks amazing and well done guys. :thumb: :thumb:

Thanks. Well we def were inspired by your work of art and reviewed your award winning paella thread before our cook.

Back