Woodfired fresh fish. (Rocket-Stove)

Badgerjacob

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
This is one of my favorite outdoor cooking tools. I use it 3-4 times a week.
I caught these right under my boathouse. That's the good thing about living in the swamps, never a shortage of something to make a meal out of.

enjoy.

IMG_4002-XL.jpg

IMG_4003-XL.jpg

IMG_4016-XL.jpg

IMG_4020-XL.jpg

2016%20258-XL.jpg

2016%20279-XL.jpg

IMG_4027-XL.jpg

This is one of my favorite outdoor cooking tools. I use it 3-4 times a week.
I caught these right under my boathouse. That's the good thing about living in the swamps, never a shortage of something to make a meal out of.

enjoy.

IMG_4002-XL.jpg

IMG_4003-XL.jpg

IMG_4016-XL.jpg

IMG_4020-XL.jpg

2016%20258-XL.jpg

2016%20279-XL.jpg

IMG_4027-XL.jpg

That is a slick rocket stove.....I assume it is homemade?

Cool! Fish looks great.

I just made a rocket stove. Not near as nice as the one you have.

It's gonna be an Xmas present for my daughter & her husband,
so I won't fire it up.

Down here where I live in hurricane alley. We lose power all the time. Sometimes for 3-4 days. When hurricane Katrina rolled through we were out of power for about 5 weeks. That was my initial reason for building one. They are perfect for anything that you need to cook hot and fast (Blackend fish, steaks, etc) but, with a little practice you can cook anything that you want with one. I use mine with cast iron, as a BBQ grill & as a fryer.

I'm just a northerner, but you southern fellas eat the skin on panfish?

I once was served fried walleye with skin on one side, needles to say I finished cleaning it before enjoying my meal. :)

I like that cooker.

I would rather have bream than any other fish that swims. Great looking cook.

I once was served fried walleye with skin on one side, needles to say I finished cleaning it before enjoying my meal. :)

I like that cooker.

Pan fish don't have skin. They have scales. Remove all of the scales and then cook however you like.

That takes me back to my younger days going up nort' with my neighbor. We'd spend the day in the boat, come back & clean the fish and his mom would fry them up just about like that. Looks amazing. I bet that cooker is fun to use too.

Cool stove and cook! I'll echo Jeanie's comment that there's nothing better than fresh caught fish. Pretty much the only thing I'd rather have than pork.

Now that looks like the fish fry from childhood days! Back before anybody thought of the filet things. The skin on them panfish add so much flavor. Looks great!

I like that cooker.
I've always eaten panfish skin. Can't imagine it otherwise. So much flavor there.

My son and daughter would not have stopped until they had filled that basket! I do not joke about that! My son has the luck.....fish pretty much jump onto his lap. Lol.

Badger, I've slowly been teaching myself to weld over the years, what cut/angle did you use on the top flue/flange/base? Not sure of the correct term. I know exactly where I can trade for some of that square tubing and I already have some plate and expanded. I've see the stoves before, but your set up is by far the easiest on the back and most convenient. That meal looks fantastic!

Bob

Back