Lets talk about Goats.

My folks raised a lot of milk goats and as I remember the young ones were ok to eat and the older ones were pretty bad and tough. As a teenager I was always hungry and would eat nearly anything but I was very glad we raise more beef than goats.

Maybe she was too big, or you didn't cook it long enough.

I was delegated to smoke a goat recently at our family's ranch. Probably 75 lbs on the hoof.

Quartered it and put it on a big smoker at about 250*.

After about 3 hours, pulled the back straps and ribs and placed the quarters into foil pans with beef broth, onions and bell peppers and covered with foil.

Back straps and ribs were tender and delicious, let the quarters braise until approx 200* internal. Let the quarters rest in the pans about an hour, pulled them, and made tacos out of them.

It all turned out very well. People that thought they didn't like goat, including myself, were very surprised at how good it was.

I read somewhere on here to cook them to the same temp that you would a pork butt and that's what I did. It worked very well for me.

I've tried to like goat, but just can't go the taste. Then again, I don't like lamb either. I never tried lamb until I was in my 20s, so I never developed a taste.

Back