• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

need advice.

maxwell7

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
The wife is fixing a lrg. bird in the oven. I decided to try a small one in my Mecco smoker , which is far better than my first one , an ECB.My bird is 12.1 #.fresh ,unfrozen. I bought some cowboy lump. My problem--I've never smoked a turkey , never used lump!cooking sites say roughly 30 min. per pound at 350--in the oven! What can I expect if I keep temps in the 275-350 range? Do I use more , less , about the same lump as reg. charcoal?.If on by 6 am , is it likely to be done by 1 pm?I have no idea what to expect--thanks Doug:rolleyes:

I'm not familiar with a "Mecco" smoker but in the 325-350 range a 12 lb bird is going to take between 4-5 hours most likely. It will definitely be done by 1pm. I would use the same amount of lump as you would the brickets just fill up the chimney. Don't forget to give yourself plenty of time to knock the refrigerator chill off the bird and to get the coals going. I used to forget that the prep can be about 1 hour and my plan to start at 6am would result in the bird actually going on at about 7am.

Doug, first off is the temp. Are you using a surface gauge of some type, or using
the gauge on the outside of the cooker. The ones on the outside tend to be WAY
off, either high or low. I suggest having some type of surface gauge. A 12lb bird,
at 275 to 350, should be done in about 5 hours, perhaps even a little less.

Definitely inject with something. Otherwise you'll dry it out quite a bit. I prefer
a creole butter injection by Cajun Injectors, but that's me. You could use something
as simple as apple juice and worchestershire as an injection. Some inject a brine
solution... All personal taste.

Also, remember that this is basically white meat bird with delicate flavors. Too much
smoke and you'll end up with a feast that tastes like smoke vs. smoked meat. I
suggest using only a small amount of dry smoking wood (if you're using any additional
to the lump charcoal).

I dont use lump, but I'd imagine the answer is yes, about the same amount. Also,
definitely light this using a chimney vs. lighter fluid, otherwise that meat will taste
like lighter fluid...

Lake Dogs--thanks for the advice.The mecco looks like the WSM , but much cheaper. I sub my ecb lid for the mecco lid , as I put a Weber thermom. in it. I'll also be using small Applewood chips( prob. unsoaked as I tend to be thru w/ the cook about the time smoke starts)I also learned early-on from the brethren to forget matchlite even exists , and use my weber chimney exclusively! Thanks again to you and Thomasjurisd:-D

Hope ya have good luck using Cowboy lump. I tried it once and will never use it again.

You can make your own creole butter very easily. I've used Scottie's recipe many times...

Scottie's Creole Butter

- ½ can of beer
- ½ lb. Butter
- 1 tsp. Bonesmokers Big Time BBQ Rub (any mild BBQ rub will do)
- 2 tsp. Paprika
- 1 ½ tsp. White Pepper
- 1 ½ tsp. Sea Salt
- 1 tbsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 ½ tsp. Onion Powder
- 1 tsp. Coleman's Mustard
- 1 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- ½ tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- ½ tsp. Tabasco

Let mixture cool a bit and then inject...

275 - 350 is a pretty wide range. If you can narrow it down a bit, you'll have a much better time of predicting your finish time. Turkey is not like brisket. Times and temperatures are fairly consistent on the bird.

My experience (and the Butterball web site confirms it http://www.butterball.com/tips-how-tos/how-tos/roast ) is that at 325 degrees, a 12lb un-stuffed bird will be done between 3 and 3-1/2 hours. I'm not sure which cooking sites suggest 30 minutes per pound at 350, but that seems wrong. 6 hours at 350* for a 12lb bird?! Can't be!

If you are spiking to 350, and not getting many deep drops in temperature, you'd better start checking internal temperature closer to 3 hours into the cook than 4 or 5. Try to keep your temps between 300 and 350 and go for an internal temp in the breast of 170. Wrap tightly and rest for an hour (in a cooler preferably). Carryover cooking will take it to the desired 175 and it should be moist and tender because all the juices will have redistributed. Without the hour of resting, you will wind up with a cutting board full of juice and dry turkey.

275 - 350 is a pretty wide range. If you can narrow it down a bit, you'll have a much better time of predicting your finish time. Turkey is not like brisket. Times and temperatures are fairly consistent on the bird.

My experience (and the Butterball web site confirms it http://www.butterball.com/tips-how-tos/how-tos/roast ) is that at 325 degrees, a 12lb un-stuffed bird will be done between 3 and 3-1/2 hours. I'm not sure which cooking sites suggest 30 minutes per pound at 350, but that seems wrong. 6 hours at 350* for a 12lb bird?! Can't be!

If you are spiking to 350, and not getting many deep drops in temperature, you'd better start checking internal temperature closer to 3 hours into the cook than 4 or 5. Try to keep your temps between 300 and 350 and go for an internal temp in the breast of 170. Wrap tightly and rest for an hour (in a cooler preferably). Carryover cooking will take it to the desired 175 and it should be moist and tender because all the juices will have redistributed. Without the hour of resting, you will wind up with a cutting board full of juice and dry turkey.

I agree with Mr Bob here. I've always done about 12 pounders for the last few years. Always takes between 3.5-4 hrs. I always shoot for 325ish with poultry. At least between 300 and 350.

If you've got a thermo that you can stick it with do be sure, that's best of course.

Good luck yo!

Thanks folks!My dome will have a full-fledged thermometer in it , but I use a Taylor insert to monitor temp with the remote unit as well.I think maybe I'll start prep at 7 , and try to get it on by 8. My wife says she doesn't plan on eating until 1 or 1:30 pm. I should be good !:p

Hope ya have good luck using Cowboy lump. I tried it once and will never use it again.
Just read your post. It makes me nervous. Do most of you not like cowboy. I have read reviews about " Foreign" articles in it. Forgot that. I did have some stubs , and have used the hickory charcoal before. I really don't want to mess this up!:icon_blush:

just looked at some other posts. I had not planned on spatchcocking the bird. Is that a problem?:doh:

I think I would take the backbone out, it will cook faster, and just hope it be nice in your area because wind will kill your heat on that type of smoker

Back