Filling the charcoal basket..?!?

UVaJester

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
This was just a random weird question I felt like getting everyone's opinion on... I have a UDS and normally put about 10 pounds of charcoal in the basket when doing a long cook. Well I normally layer in wood chips with the 10 pounds of charcoal. I also soak a few hand fulls of wood chips in water and throw on top of the lit charcoal when I add the boston butts to the UDS. IS this something that most people do..?? Thank in advance...

Jester

What I do (and I think most Drumheads do) is put 4-5 chunks of wood scattered in with the charcoal. It works for me.

If I'm using briquets, I go 2:1 by volume of briquets to chunk hickory. I can easily get 24 hours out of a full basket running at 225.

Here's my basket loaded the way I like it.

Attachments

• DSCF0384.jpg
    DSCF0384.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 206
Got about 18 hours at 225-250ish the other day on 15lbs of Kingsford briqs and about 6 good sized chunks of hickory/apple.

Hmmmm.... I may need to bump up the amount of wood I use. When I first started with this BBQ thing a few years ago, I would over smoke everything. So I cut back my wood usage and have been adding more and more to perfect the flavor. Thanks for the suggestions and the picture really helps...!!!

If I'm using briquets, I go 2:1 by volume of briquets to chunk hickory. I can easily get 24 hours out of a full basket running at 225.

Here's my basket loaded the way I like it.
Wow, that's a lot of hickory! I only use 4-5 fist sized chunks and my Q gets very smoky.

i put a brisket on about 11 hours ago. i think i will just see how long it will go . i put around 8 lbs of kingsford and a piece of pecan and a piece of oak. the wood was about 3-4 inches in diameter and about 10-12 inches long. no i am not going to leave the brisket on all that time!!:thumb:

This was just a random weird question I felt like getting everyone's opinion on... I have a UDS and normally put about 10 pounds of charcoal in the basket when doing a long cook. Well I normally layer in wood chips with the 10 pounds of charcoal. I also soak a few hand fulls of wood chips in water and throw on top of the lit charcoal when I add the boston butts to the UDS. IS this something that most people do..?? Thank in advance...

Jester

I pretty much do this exactly except I use pellets. Mix them into the basket then throw some on top once the fire is lit.

That sure IS a lot of Hickory sdb25! In my drum, which holds about 15 lbs of lump, I'll scatter in about 4 or 5 pieces of a fruit wood depending on size. The chunks are around 2" x 3" typically. If smaller I'll put in a couple more. Lump might impart a smokier flavor on it's own and I've never used briquettes.

i put a brisket on about 11 hours ago. i think i will just see how long it will go . i put around 8 lbs of kingsford and a piece of pecan and a piece of oak. the wood was about 3-4 inches in diameter and about 10-12 inches long. no i am not going to leave the brisket on all that time!!:thumb:

after 20 hours it has dropped down to about 200. i think it is about finished. ummmm wish i had some jerky meat to put on it now!!:thumb:

Thread hijack on:

do most of the drumheads use briquets instead of lump?

I am seasoning mine right now, but I am using a 10 lb bag of RO lump in it. I had the lump, so I used it as a test. It has been steady since 8:45am, and still going strong.

Thread hijack off:

I actually have preferred LUMP since my drums beginning a year ago, but am trying briquettes for the first time today.. we shall see.

Lump for me. Briquettes give the meat a funny aftertaste, IMO. I do use briquettes in the chimney to start things off, however.

Also, I only use about 3-4 decent sized chunks of wood most of the time. I don't think I've smoked anything yet that took over 7 hours, though. I have some apple chips since I've not been able to locate any apple locally that I may try your method on, Jester.

Lump seems to work better for me in my drum, Seems like there is less ash and more heat for a longer time.

Lump always. I find that briquettes give off way too much ash, plus most briquettes have ground limestone, ground coal, etc. Lump is pure wood.

I'll have to get some lump for the next time around but how much lump do you use compared to briquettes or do they both burn at the same rate. Not that it makes any difference unless you are on a budget and want to get the most out of your charcoal, to me it is all about the taste.

I'll have to get some lump for the next time around but how much lump do you use compared to briquettes or do they both burn at the same rate. Not that it makes any difference unless you are on a budget and want to get the most out of your charcoal, to me it is all about the taste.
I fill my basket. What the big issue with lump is that it a natural product, so it may vary. Some times you may get a lot of smaller bits which will pack tighter in the basket and therefore affect airflow. So far I haven't had any issues with mine, but it can vary with bags & esp brands. If you prefer consistency, I'd go with briquettes, but I would definitely find one that is nothing but ground charcoal with something like corn starch or wheat starch as a binder. Here in Canada it's either Maple Leaf briquettes or those from Great Charcoal. In the US, I think Kingsford Competition Blend is the same.

Back