• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Anyone else do this?

cowgirl

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Check out the smoker in back before eating in a Q joint?

95cf6ef0-4cd1-4f0f-850d-f9750f8b20e6_zps6sztm5uk.jpg

538d3c99-049c-450b-8269-646c2e08257f_zpsj8lzddxi.jpg

dc13b344-4347-497c-a37d-c0a2681e5e34_zpsijke6y5r.jpg

8e64aa29-9b82-4698-a69e-ebe79d85728f_zpskbfwg7dm.jpg

The aroma coming out of the old smoker was nice. No thermometer sticking out of the cooker, the tongs, and the meat hook hanging above were promising signs that the owner might know what he/she was doing. :thumb:

I ordered a slab of pork ribs to go. (cut, no sauce) They weren't half bad.

Not the best pics, but they had a little "tug" and not fall off the bone tender.
Just the way I like em.

7751ce72-ae1d-4976-87c2-f949372e9ae5_zps5f1yf3ra.jpg

d29722ba-0cf8-4ae0-aab6-87b78c7375f5_zpsj2vfigyi.jpg

Some of the ugliest pits I've seen, put out the best food. :grin:

Do any of you check out the back side of a cook shack before eating? :becky:

We don't really have q-joints like that around these parts Jeanie. Definitely the kind of place I'd stop at also. :becky:

Simple, good is what it looks like and you can't go wrong with that. :thumb:

Making me hungry for ribs

They were pretty tasty. I'm picky about eating purchased Q, it never tastes as good as home smoked or friend's cookin'. :grin:

We don't really have q-joints like that around these parts Jeanie. Definitely the kind of place I'd stop at also. :becky:

Simple, good is what it looks like and you can't go wrong with that. :thumb:
Sako, I enjoy checking out places like this. There are quite a few in Oklahoma. I make sure they have a wood pile. The best places seem to be the joints that have home made ugly pits like this one. Nothing fancy needed to put out good wood smoked meats.
Thanks Neighbor! :grin:

From the looks of the smoker, yeah I'd hit that. Like you said looks like they've been round a while.

From the looks of the smoker, yeah I'd hit that. Like you said looks like they've been round a while.

I love the smell of wood smoke but the aroma off of this sucker made my tummy growl. lol
Thanks Battleborn! :grin:

They were pretty tasty. I'm picky about eating purchased Q, it never tastes as good as home smoked or friend's cookin'. :grin:

Sako, I enjoy checking out places like this. There are quite a few in Oklahoma. I make sure they have a wood pile. The best places seem to be the joints that have home made ugly pits like this one. Nothing fancy needed to put out good wood smoked meats.
Thanks Neighbor! :grin:

Me too :mrgreen: Not necessarily Q but I always stop by and go into places that other people usually skip. :biggrin1: Some of the best experiences and food IMHO. Down to the Indian reservations when I was traveling up north to Utah and passing through Nevada, Arizona.

Reminds me of some places in Texas. Decades old, rusty, bent doors, leaking like a sieve but mighty good q.

I always check out the cooking set up first.
You can get a good idea of what the food will be like, also I just like seeing how they set up their pits, no two alike. You see some creative contraptions :icon_cool

Even with top notch equipment some places put out mediocre Q. I have had major variations in quality from two different franchises of the same chain of restaurants with the same meat and wood sources. The key element to good food appears to be finding a place with a cook that gives a damn. It looks like you found one.

Yes, sure do.

Cowgirl- the wood pile. Hickory? Oak? Mesquite? Pecan?

Last edited:
I've never eaten Q in California Tom. I would eat at Sako's or gtr's or any of the California Brethren's homes if given the chance though! :wink:

Open invite Jeanie! You could show up drunk on the doorstep at 3am and within the hour we'd have many SoCal Brethren over and a Bash going on! Well maybe 2 hours depending on traffic...

That looks like a cool spot. I love eating BBQ, but I also love going to those shack-type places. Not a lot of that around here, but when I'm traveling in the USA I definitely seek those out.

That's one of my rules for eating q outside of California: If I don't see or smell smoke, I turn and run.

Back