Recs for Chicago BBQ, steakhouse, or pizza

jwtseng

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Gonna be staying in downtown Chicago coming up. Wondering if y'all could recommend some good BBQ joints or maybe a steakhouse or even just a deep dish pizza place. Thx

In terms of steak when I was there I went to David Burke's Primehouse and even went in the dry aging room. It was pretty good food. Now pizza, I went to Pequod's Pizza but most will say Lou Malnati's Pizzeria or Giordano's. I hope that helps.

In the downtown area you've got ChicagoQ, Lee Ann Whippens place, pretty good. Good bourbon selection. Haven't been, but have heard that Green Street Smoked meats & LilliesQ are pretty good. I think Bub City has que. For pizza, Pizzeria Uno & Pizzeria Due, the inventors of Chicago deep dish. Or Lou Malnati's, Gino's East. Steaks, Gene & Georgetti's, Morton's, Chicago Chophouse, Chicago Cut, bunch of good ones.

In the downtown area you've got ChicagoQ, Lee Ann Whippens place, pretty good. Good bourbon selection. Haven't been, but have heard that Green Street Smoked meats & LilliesQ are pretty good. I think Bub City has que. For pizza, Pizzeria Uno & Pizzeria Due, the inventors of Chicago deep dish. Or Lou Malnati's, Gino's East. Steaks, Gene & Georgetti's, Morton's, Chicago Chophouse, Chicago Cut, bunch of good ones.

I'm in Chicago about every month for work and would agree with everything above. If you find yourself on Rush St, my favorite steak place is Gibson's. There is also a very cool gastro pub in the North called Hop Leaf. Outstanding selection of craft beer and cider on tap with fantastic food to go with. Have a good trip!

In terms of steak when I was there I went to David Burke's Primehouse and even went in the dry aging room. It was pretty good food. Now pizza, I went to Pequod's Pizza but most will say Lou Malnati's Pizzeria or Giordano's. I hope that helps.

Not me! While I enjoy Lou's once in a while, I am a Pequod fan from all the way back in high school. The original Pequod in Morton Grove was my high school handout. Of course, that was when the late Burt Katz (moved on to Burt's Pizza. Google him) still owned it, but Pequod is my all time favorite deep dish.

But, jwt, see if you can find some Chicago style thin crust if you have time. That's what the locals eat most of the time.

For steak, I am still a fan of Gene and Georgetti. It's old school steakhouse at it's best.

Chocago Q is no longer owned by Leeanne, and I've heard that it has gone down hill. Blackwood BBQ has opened up a couple of places downtown and the pitmaster there, Dylan, is a great cook. If you are up for a roas trip, head to the near north side to Rub's Backyard BBQ. Jared does a great job.

Pequod for the win! But I'm like Ron, give me thin crust cut party style (square cut) most of the time.

Here are some other options.

Get on the red line and head up to Argyle. Half a block up on Broadway is Sun Wah BBQ. Split the duck with someone. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185580 Call ahead and get a reservation. They are closed Thursday.

GT Fish and Oyster - great bourbon drinks. Good menu.

Xoco (Rick Bayless Mexican street food). They have great breakfast items and wonderful al pastor tacos on Wednesday.

Big and Littles - I love the fish and chips. Po Boys are excellent.

Tango Sur - Argentine Steak house that is BYOB. Take the red line, transfer at Belmont to the Brown line. Get off at Southport and walk north a few blocks to Grace.

Au Cheval - a mighty fine burger. If you can make brunch the blueberry muffin is crazy good, as the starter before the burger.

Owen and Engine - gastro pub. Good burgers and beer. The lamb blt is really good.

Chicago is a great food town. You can find just about anything across any price point here.

Thank you so much, Guys! These are some great recs, especially about the thin crust pizza!

I'm mostly on business this trip, but the areas that I wanted to hit were fine-dining, comfort food/BBQ, pizza, sushi, and steak...and something from Rick Bayless lol.

I got a table at Grace to hit the fine dining (I put myself on the Alinea waitlist each day).

Girl and Goat for the comfort food/BBQ (albeit not traditional BBQ)

Marku for an extended sushi Omakase

The steakhouse was a tough one with all the solid, old-school (G&G, Joe's, etc) and new-school (RPM, etc) choices in the city. But I settled on Boeufhaus for a more rustic experience and a nice 55-day dry aged ribeye.

I'm still looking at the pizza joints. And I was planning on ordering one of Rick Bayless's tortas from my phone while I'm waiting to deplane in O'Hare. Lol. Tango Sur sounds yummy, and Au Cheval's burger sounds like it's not to be missed!

I gotta look at the Metro and see if I can handle it. Lol. Plus most of my dinner reservations are around 9-10pm...don't want to risk getting stranded. Might just Uber.

You mentioned Girl and the Goat, that's right across the street from Au Cheval. Around the corner is Green Street Smoked Meats which isn't bad .

That area (I think its currently called "West Loop" but I could be wrong) is packed with every type of eatery including a new Rick Bayless beer place: http://www.rickbayless.com/restaurants/cerveceria-cruz-blanca/ and a seafood centered place next door: http://www.rickbayless.com/restaurants/lena-brava/

The "Randolph Corridor" of restaurants if you will, is never a place you would get stranded. You can hail a cab there in minutes nearly 24 hours a day.

Hope you enjoy your stay

Awesome! Thank you for that bit of info and reassurance, Bill! Since my dinner reservations at Girl and the Goat are at 10:30pm, I may have to go early and grab that burger from Au Cheval after all!

There will be lines at Au Cheval and I'm not sure how late they are open, but when in the neighborhood we like to walk 1 block south to Halsted and Washington to Mas Tequila/Taco Bar
http://www.barmaschicago.com/

The cocktail menu on the site does not do the place justice as there is an additional tequila menu with about 30 or so (memory recalls) kinds of tequila. There is a bar, which you can sit and grab a drink or two before your reservation.

I've been there in the dead of winter and had a cucumber margarita which transports you right to the beach. If that's on the menu, I'd get one of those. They use this season salt around the rim on some of their drinks which is similar to Tajin and works well.

And then there are these shots of a V8 type drink which we had with tequila shots while there at around noon After we went to Au Cheval for their 11am opening.

I'm putting all these places on my Google Map. I swear I'm gonna have to have an early dinner around 5pm and then a late dinner at 10pm.

Thank you all so much!

And then there are these shots of a V8 type drink which we had with tequila shots while there at around noon
Sangrita, sort of a palate cleanser you sip between sips of tequila. Don't know of many places around here that serve that.

Chocago Q is no longer owned by Leeanne, and I've heard that it has gone down hill. Blackwood BBQ has opened up a couple of places downtown and the pitmaster there, Dylan, is a great cook. If you are up for a roas trip, head to the near north side to Rub's Backyard BBQ. Jared does a great job.

Did not know that. And yes, I love Jared's brisket.

Back