Jacks Old South Restaurant - Braselton, GA

joemat

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So I was in Atlanta for some driving out at Road Atlanta (nearby Braselton, GA) and noticed that Myron Mixon had a BBQ joint there.

I could not wait to stop by after spending a few days at the track. I had high expectations for some great Jacks Old South Q.

Ugh - what a disappointment. First, no Brisket. Its only offered on Thursday's. Second, the ribs and chicken had almost no essence of smoke flavor. The chicken arrived sliced on the plate and as pale as milk (although it was moist and tender).

My son had an order of wings expecting smoked wings but they were fried.

I went in really expecting some great Georgia barbecue but left counting the days till I next fired my own pit.

Hopefully I just experienced an off day.

I went there about a year ago and my experience was about the same as yours. Still can't believe he would put his name on that place.

Well, I guess it's true, "Competition cooking and real cooking are two different animals. I've got a couple of Myron's books and they haven't impressed me either.
BlkBear07

Restaurant cooking will never match what the persons product really is. They are going to save money where they can. At his school he fed us and his food is on point. That man can cook.

No doubt he can cook, but $795.00 to attend his class is out of my reach.

As far as eating out in general, we do not go out to BBQ restaurants. We have been disappointed too many times and will never consider trying any restaurant listed as BBQ. There are exceptions to our rule, when we traveled to Texas we stopped at some of the great legends of BBQ and enjoyed some great BBQ in and around Austin and in Lockhart. I too probably would have thought the BBQ would be better than normal with his name attached.

There are many people in the world who do not know what constitutes good BBQ. Many actually like what we would consider to be mediocre or bad BBQ as great food. Some people even think the McRib is good BBQ while others think just an application of sauce makes the item "BBQ". What I tend to see is that those who consider mediocre BBQ to be terrific are those who don't cook their own barbecue. Those who consider it to be marginally acceptable or bad are those who probably cook their own BBQ.

Too often BBQ restaurants are opened in terrible locations like strip malls and such where they don't have a smoker or smoke pit to cook authentic BBQ, so they resort to other cooking methods such as ovens. Unfortunately they feel this acceptable because they have added liquid smoke or BBQ sauce to the entree. I personally find that the person with a small vending trailer and a smoker setup on a roadside somewhere far exceeds what most restaurants sell as BBQ.

Price, Quantity, and Quality are the 3 things that factor into the equation of perceived value for the money. It all depends on which of those two factors an individual places their importance on, and that persons value may not equal our own. This is especially true when it comes to determining a person's definition of quality food. Everybody wants good quality, but many will sacrifice their quality for quantity thinking they have greater value in a slightly larger quantity. Simply put a cheap steak will always taste like a cheap steak even with a lot of sides. Another factor is time, time is money, and they do not have (or want to take) the time to properly trim, brine, or rub the meat to enhance the final flavors to create good BBQ.

I am convinced that if you want to eat the best BBQ available, learn to cook in your smoker and tailor the seasonings to your personal taste. The BBQ cooked in the backyard is better tasting for a meal than a competition entry or restaurant BBQ because it is tailored to the taste of the cook, her/his friends, and family.

No doubt he can cook, but $795.00 to attend his class is out of my reach.

As far as eating out in general, we do not go out to BBQ restaurants. We have been disappointed too many times and will never consider trying any restaurant listed as BBQ. There are exceptions to our rule, when we traveled to Texas we stopped at some of the great legends of BBQ and enjoyed some great BBQ in and around Austin and in Lockhart. I too probably would have thought the BBQ would be better than normal with his name attached.

There are many people in the world who do not know what constitutes good BBQ. Many actually like what we would consider to be mediocre or bad BBQ as great food. Some people even think the McRib is good BBQ while others think just an application of sauce makes the item "BBQ". What I tend to see is that those who consider mediocre BBQ to be terrific are those who don't cook their own barbecue. Those who consider it to be marginally acceptable or bad are those who probably cook their own BBQ.

Too often BBQ restaurants are opened in terrible locations like strip malls and such where they don't have a smoker or smoke pit to cook authentic BBQ, so they resort to other cooking methods such as ovens. Unfortunately they feel this acceptable because they have added liquid smoke or BBQ sauce to the entree. I personally find that the person with a small vending trailer and a smoker setup on a roadside somewhere far exceeds what most restaurants sell as BBQ.

Price, Quantity, and Quality are the 3 things that factor into the equation of perceived value for the money. It all depends on which of those two factors an individual places their importance on, and that persons value may not equal our own. This is especially true when it comes to determining a person's definition of quality food. Everybody wants good quality, but many will sacrifice their quality for quantity thinking they have greater value in a slightly larger quantity. Simply put a cheap steak will always taste like a cheap steak even with a lot of sides. Another factor is time, time is money, and they do not have (or want to take) the time to properly trim, brine, or rub the meat to enhance the final flavors to create good BBQ.

I am convinced that if you want to eat the best BBQ available, learn to cook in your smoker and tailor the seasonings to your personal taste. The BBQ cooked in the backyard is better tasting for a meal than a competition entry or restaurant BBQ because it is tailored to the taste of the cook, her/his friends, and family.

Hmmm...I guess you can't get good BBQ in a strip mall.
920x920.jpg

Hmmm...I guess you can't get good BBQ in a strip mall.
920x920.jpg

Neil,

You are one of the few who love their job and don't always look for a cheapest possible alternative. You cook with your heart...

I've followed your endeavor and even donated to your original funding page.

I am sure you know what I am referring to, the others can't even be compared to the level of quality of your restaurant.

Sorry if you took offense to the post, but if you read it in complete context; I was referring to those places that do not actually smoke their meat and think that just the application of some liquid smoke and some sauce constitutes BBQ. You are far above that category my friend...

the restaurant is no longer owned by mr. mixon from what i understand he sold it to a relation along with the name and they sold to someone else yea the food sucks you didn`t get a bad day

Back