Recommendations for a good, cheap camera for food shots?

CakeM1x

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Don't know if this qualifies for "equipment" but I'm tired of using my cell phone to take pics of the food. Since I've been actually posting cooks I figured it's time to get a camera. Any recommendations on one that will take good food pics sub $200?

Almost any decent digital camera will do a nice job. I use my iPhone 6 most of the time because it is handy, but I have an Olympus TG-1 (older model) that is my go to camera. It's waterproof, drop proof, etc. I've had several Olympus cameras and have been happy with them.

I've found that the real key for food pics is the lighting. My kitchen has a 4-tube fluorescent ceiling fixture so we have plenty of light.

The only thing I have is a gopro video camera which can take stills. I admit it takes way better video than a reg. picture though. There seems to be alot of digital cameras under $100 at the local Best Buy

Ok so I am going to sound contradicting to myself but here goes:

For everyday shots and forum posts, I almost always use my cellphone camera. It does the job and does it more than well enough.

That being said, I am an avid photographer and I don't think cellphone quality is good enough (see what I mean by contradiction??)....If you need specific high resolution, high quality macro shots or some shots for a print, a good quality digital camera will do especially if you can slap on there macro lenses or even a close up filter.

Otherwise given the state of technology on cellphone cams, I usually whip out my phone and snap. I can't imagine going to get my fullframe DSLR, lenses and flash (if needed) and start snapping away pics of the cook I just finished with my greasy hands :shocked:

I own a couple of Nikon L26's. This camera takes AA off the shelf batteries, and is a good pocket camera at your price point. There are several options in that range that are also good choices. I like the AA option because I do not want to get caught short looking for a charging outlet when I'm out and about. Good luck on your selection.
https://www.google.com/shopping/product/17472473080148809073?sclient=psy-ab&biw=1500&bih=672&q=nikon+l26%27s&oq=nikon+l26%27s&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.&bvm=bv.98476267,d.eXY&tch=1&ech=1&psi=j_OwVarCO4GvggSu-pSICA.1437660056629.3&sa=X&ved=0CIkBELkkahUKEwiLu9GHtfHGAhXD1YAKHT6WCT0

http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/categories/best-aa-battery-powered-digital-cameras/products

I picked up a used Sony Bloggie Touch on ebay for about $25 a couple years ago. I don't have a cell phone, so this is my "every day carry" camera.

Lighting is king. A great camara helps, but bad lighting will mess up a shot from even the best camara.

Ok so I am going to sound contradicting to myself but here goes:

For everyday shots and forum posts, I almost always use my cellphone camera. It does the job and does it more than well enough.

That being said, I am an avid photographer and I don't think cellphone quality is good enough (see what I mean by contradiction??)....If you need specific high resolution, high quality macro shots or some shots for a print, a good quality digital camera will do especially if you can slap on there macro lenses or even a close up filter.

Otherwise given the state of technology on cellphone cams, I usually whip out my phone and snap. I can't imagine going to get my fullframe DSLR, lenses and flash (if needed) and start snapping away pics of the cook I just finished with my greasy hands :shocked:

I understand what you are saying, but for posting pictures on here, where the max resolution most folks post is 1024 x 768 or similar, a good cell phone camera with proper lightning can go a great job. These were taken with my iPhone in my kitchen...

14991723284_84419cb5d7_c.jpg

15924304303_e34e6a5c2f_c.jpg

Not studio quality, but certainly good enough for QTalk or Throwdowns. The only post-processing was to import into Picasa, crop if needed and run 'I'm Feeling Lucky'.

^^^^ awesomeness thru the lense. Nice Ron L

I use Iphone5.

I've got a waterproof Optio digital- somewhere. Haven't used it since getting Iphone

I can't imagine going to get my fullframe DSLR, lenses and flash (if needed) and start snapping away pics of the cook I just finished with my greasy hands :shocked:

Um, this is exactly what I do. :becky: I just keep the 18~55 mounted and wash my hands before reaching for it. I may still fark up my shots, but by God, they've got pixels. But, these are still casual shots. I'm not going to mess with changing out lenses, or using a macro tube for a prepared meal. Oh, and I hate phones. So much so, that I keep forgetting they have a camera...

Um, this is exactly what I do. :becky: I just keep the 18~55 mounted and wash my hands before reaching for it. I may still fark up my shots, but by God, they've got pixels. But, these are still casual shots. I'm not going to mess with changing out lenses, or using a macro tube for a prepared meal. Oh, and I hate phones. So much so, that I keep forgetting they have a camera...

Are you telling me that my camera has a phone built into it?? Who woulda thunk! Technology has a hard time staying behind with me. :loco:
:doh:

Omar

I will only use this camera for food so itll be in my kitchen drawer. We need to redo our lighting in our kitchen, it is terrible. I hate grabbing my phone (which is usually streaming bluetooth radio when cooking), going to one of my cookers and come back disconnected. A dedicated device will much handier. I found a decent one on ebay refurbed which should do the trick. Thanks for the inputs.

It sounds like it's too late, but having a waterproof camera (or a waterproof case on your phone) is nice. When it gets greasy or saucy you can wash it off.

I use my iPhone 6 too but for cheaper dig cameras id go canon or Nikon.

If you're willing to up your budget just a bit, to about $250, you can buy a used Nikon D3100 with an 18-55mm zoom. I've been using one since late 2011, and it takes pretty awesome pics for an entry level DSLR. Here's a few of my favorites:

11122011Ribs.jpg

HamburgerHabitDoubleCheese_zps8452ca09.jpg

TDentryshot_zps061e7ae6.jpg

I would suggest a used Canon/Nikon DSLR camera and a 50mm 1.8 lens.

check out a Canon Elph 115 or something. you can usually find a refurbished one for like $40. It has a bunch of settings that work well for food photography.

Back