Ready for A WSM...

Rich M

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Being a newbie...ready to get my first smoker..before I take the plunge into building a UDS :wink:

Since I'm very familiar with Weber Kettle grills over the years, and have owned over a dozen, thinking about taking the plunge and purchasing a WSM... Since it will be the first smoker I've owned..and being a newbie, I'm thinking on the 18.5" Dia in lieu of the 22.0"....

Input would be appreciated...

On a side note..When I was regularly traveling to Slovakia to visit the in laws..there was a homemade smokehouse in every other house in the village that I visited... October is generally the Hog slaughtering time of year..and the mountain aired smelled wonderful that time of year..and the eats were awesome. Typical smokers were built from corrugated steel, could hold up to 350 lbs of hog, and smoked with Oak....

Have a great weekend everyone...

Rich

If you think the 18.5" is good enough for you, get the 22.5". Decide the size you need and then get the next bigger. You may not need all the space, all the time, but it is better to have too much space than not enough space.

Love my 22.5, but out grew it in a years time...

you can't go wrong with the wsm, but i will second Terry's advice, go for the 22.5" you'll be glad you didi

^^^^^^

Thank you kindly for the advise... I was thinking the same...

Unfortunately, can't find a 22" at a local distributor..so more than likely need to do the internet thing ....

^^^^^^

Thank you kindly for the advise... I was thinking the same...

Unfortunately, can't find a 22" at a local distributor..so more than likely need to do the internet thing ....

I also own a 22" WSM. Found mine at a local ACE hardware dealer. This is as good as any on the net:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Weber-731001-Mountain-22-Inch-Charcoal/dp/B001I8ZTJA"]Amazon.com : Weber 731001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 22-Inch Charcoal Smoker, Black : Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41-Nd4eZplL.@@AMEPARAM@@41-Nd4eZplL[/ame]

^^^^^^^^

Thanks yakdung!

Found an Ace store on the other side of the Hudson in Westchester county that has 22" WSM availability... Going to call them in the morning to confirm, and if so, off I go....

^^^^^^^^

Thanks yakdung!

Found an Ace store on the other side of the Hudson in Westchester county that has 22" WSM availability... Going to call them in the morning to confirm, and if so, off I go....
Congrats! I know you will enjoy it!

:clap:

The 18 holds a lot. Plenty if you get creative. A few kettles can supplement it for bigger cooks. Maybe im just cheap but fuel adds up and 95% (if not more) of my cooks could be done on one 18 and a kettle. Ymmv

You will want two of them. The 14.5 for small everyday cooks & an 18.5 or 22.5 for party time.

I bought the 22 because I like the space of putting full packers regardless of weight in there without bending and also ribs lay flat on the grate.

I like the idea of a 22. I used to live in washington state when i took the plunge and went with the 18 for use with less fuel. It worked great even on snowy days. Either size will work!

The 18 is a Great choice. Just the wife and I here so my 18.5 handles our needs and is still big enough to handle a large group around holidays and such.

I like the fuel economy of the 18.5 but there is no wrong way to go when it comes to a WSM..

I've got the 18.5 and I love it. The only time I wanted a bigger one is when I tried to put a really huge brisket on there, and I had to make a hump in the middle so it would fit. Other than that, I routinely cook for big parties (30-50 people) and have no problem with the size.

I have an 18 and a 22. I origionally bought the 18 when it was the only size they made. I love the darn thing. The only thing is that I sometimes needed was more capacity. And it was sometimes a pain fitting a few racks of ribs on the 18".

I eventually upgraded when the 22 came out and I love it just as much. I can fit anything I want in the thing and just modded mine to fit a third rack between the two that are already there.

If I could only have one it would be the 22.

Get an IQ110 or other temperature controller for it. The WSM is dead easy to keep on temp, but you still have to watch it at first to get it on temp and stabalise it there, and you really should check the temps every hour or so once it is stabilized.

The "set it and forget it" simplicity of a temperature controller takes it to a whole new level, you just turn the knob to whatever temp you want and walk away so you can do other things like fix the car or mow the grass, while the smoker is going or you can go back to sleep after throwing the 3AM brisket In the smoker.

Chris

I love my wsm for smaller cooks that I do. It also gives me time to fix up my stick burner and still be able to smoke meat when I want to. I grill on it all the time as well, it's a lot better at grilling then I was lead to believe. U will be very happy u paid for one no matter if u get the 18 or 22.

Back