• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Sous Vide Appreciation Thread!

Thanks for the heads-up, Ron.
I think that might be my secret Dad's day gift to my son.
I am certainly enjoying mine.

Thanks for the heads up Ron. I've been waiting to get one of these and this discount was enough for me to stop putting it off.

Oh man, thanks for the head's up. I'm still trying to decide if this is something I'd want to add to my arsenal, and this may just be what pushes me over.

I should get a commission :-D

We're very happy with ours. My wife even asked to use it to do some chicken breasts for chicken salad the other day! :shock:

Thanks Ron! I have the original version that I paid $199 for, and I wouldn't take my money back for it. I've convinced a couple of friends to by the new Precision model, and for $129 with the discount, I just ordered one for myself. Now with two cookers I can cook my steaks rare/med-rare like they're supposed to be, at the same time I'm cooking my wife and daughter's to medium.

Damn that's a good price. I just might have to buy one for my own father's day gift.

Thanks Ron! I have the original version that I paid $199 for, and I wouldn't take my money back for it. I've convinced a couple of friends to by the new Precision model, and for $129 with the discount, I just ordered one for myself. Now with two cookers I can cook my steaks rare/med-rare like they're supposed to be, at the same time I'm cooking my wife and daughter's to medium.

I've been cooking my wife's steaks to medium first, and then reheating it during the last part of cooking my steak. It would be nice to have a second one, but that may be pushing things a bit too far :-D

I'm just wary of the whole idea I guess.
Tenderness and doneness I get, but with no "char"? What about seasonings?
Seems like it would taste like boiled food......

No?

I mean I know Ron isn't gonna eat boiled steak. I just don't see it. Help me out here....

I should get a commission :-D

We're very happy with ours. My wife even asked to use it to do some chicken breasts for chicken salad the other day! :shock:
We use it for that all the time.

Season either before the sous vide cook or after, your choice, and then sear in a hot CI pan, on a hot grill or using a torch. Lots of restaurants are doing sous vide steaks and searing to order, so you've probably eaten one and don't know it.

I'm just wary of the whole idea I guess.
Tenderness and doneness I get, but with no "char"? What about seasonings?
Seems like it would taste like boiled food......

No?

I mean I know Ron isn't gonna eat boiled steak. I just don't see it. Help me out here....
No, not boiled food, cause the water never touches the meat, so it can't leach out the flavor.
Seasonings: You can season the meat any way you want before sealing in the bag.
For char, meat is usually seared after the Sous Vide process, either in cast iron pan, or on grill.

Here is a filet that was sous vide and then seared on the grill. Would you eat this, Kempis? :-D

11080300_10205235102629013_167671082822621912_o.jpg

Sure I would.
It looks great! I've seen that photo before and it look as good now as it did then.

But looks don't account for taste.
I just love a charcoal cooked steak. How does the taste of that compare to one cooked entirely over charcoal?

Not trying to dog sous vide cooking at all.
I know all about restaurants using it to hold steaks at various "doneness" and then grilling them off for color.

.....then again, there aren't many restaurant steaks I care for anymore. :becky:

Although I bought a PolyScience one for 69$ several days ago, I just bought this one today. I'll be doing side by sides when both of them come in.

Would be awesome for restaurants and bad weather, but hell, we grill/smoke 365 out west. What about the beer??

I am tempted by new toys.

Last edited:
Would be awesome for restaurants and bad weather, but hell, we grill/smoke 365 out west. What about the beer??

I am tempted by new toys.
Put the steaks in the Sous Vide, set it for several hours, and you have plenty of time to enjoy the beer; and if you get "forgetful" the steaks will not overcook.:mrgreen:

Hmmm..... well looks like Ron pushed me over the edge!

I see a standing rib roast or NY strip roast in my future using this. I've been interested in the tenderizing and infusing abilities of these for a long while. Now I'll just be waiting for it to get here!!

Also Ron. What is your preferred container for large cuts of meat when cooking then using this Anova precision cooker?

Hmmm..... well looks like Ron pushed me over the edge!

I see a standing rib roast or NY strip roast in my future using this. I've been interested in the tenderizing and infusing abilities of these for a long while. Now I'll just be waiting for it to get here!!

Also Ron. What is your preferred container for large cuts of meat when cooking then using this Anova precision cooker?

I noticed, for this particular device, you are supposed to use 4-5 gallons of water. I ordered the 4.75 gallon cambro container from amazon.

I've just been using an 8 qt. stock pot, but lots of folks use a cooler or plastic food service container like this...

Rubbermaid.JPG

I noticed, for this particular device, you are supposed to use 4-5 gallons of water.

That's the max it will heat reliably.

Back