Sous Vide Appreciation Thread!

Nice looking piece of fish, rexter.
What temp and how long did you run it?

Looks eggcxelent! Gotta try eggs in the Sous Vide. Temp and time looks good the way you did it.

Q: How hard was it to get the shells off?

The shells crack open easily and the egg slides out. I did these a month ago exactly the same way and really like them.

As above I just cracked the Eggs like I normally would and they came out intact There is a link in this thread that shows eggs at differant temps Do a search for Anova There is a thread on it with Eggs that has a good video that shows Eggs at differant temps

I know this goes against everything BBQ but I had to try it. I cooked them at 150 for 20hrs. This is the first time I seasoned anything before putting it in the bag. After they were cooked I put them in the fridge for a couple days, then put them on the grill to reheat and get some smoke.

The texture and flavor was more like ham than traditional BBQ. I assume this was due to the salt in the rub being put in prior to cooking. Anyway, the ribs were good and something different from the norm. I might try this again without seasoning first.

IMG951889.jpg

20150714_182628.jpg

20150714_182916.jpg

Cheers,
Nate

Looking at the finished rack and the plate I would never know that those were sous vide, Nate!

I agree with your thought about the salt giving them a hammy taste? Were the ribs enhanced?

Ron, you make a good point, but I'm not sure if they were enhanced before I started. Either way it was like ham on a stick. Not a bad thing.

Brewmaster, try smoking them first for about 4 hours. Get the smoke on them, get the bark you like. Throw them in the bag with some butter or margarine and if you like some brown sugar, rub whatever you might add when wrapping.

I usually freeze and take them with me when I am working out of town. I reheat at 160-165 for around 4 or so hours. They are probably good to eat at around 2 hrs or so. I have not done the SV first but may try that without the salt next time just to try it out. I agree that rubbing them, vac seal and refrigerate for a couple of days would have a curing affect.

I also have some apple cider ice cubes in the freezer to help in adding some moisture to the vac bag but have not had a chance to try it yet.

I've been thinking about sous vide ribs for a while.

I love ribs.....love ribs. However my love of them has made it terribly hard to sacrifice a rack in the name of sous vide when they are so amazingly good on the smoker or grill. So, my plan is to LEAVE the smoker and grill completely out of the equation as I think its bonkers to crank either up and NOT use them for what they do and that's fantastic ribs. I wanna see if I can make tasty ribs without going outside. Just me, the ribs, the anova and either my searzall or the broiler. Note.....I do NOT like ribs in the oven. So this will be quite the feat if the anova can make a rack of ribs that I don't bitch about.:razz:

The trick, I think, is to get flavor inside the meat with little to no salt for the long cook. I've thought about liquid smoke, smoked paprika, smoked black pepper as well as smoked salt. If I could find a liquid smoke that I actually liked it would be great. However, I think I'm gonna go with a smoked paprika, smoked pepper, tiny bit of smoked salt route with some other spices in there. No sugar, barely any salt if any.

Then on the finish a heavy dose of rub to caramelize or maybe a glaze.

I hope to give this a whirl within the next week or so.

Well, get down on it! I love experimenting with mine. I am sure it can be done but I always have to remind myself that the sous vide is not a replacement for BBQ or any other type of cooking. I really think that there is nothing that the sous vide does that cant be done with other methods, rather it increases the window of opportunity to nail a perfect doneness (sic) with precision. I am not a big fish eater unless it is battered/breaded and fried but I could see how it would be the best way to cook any fish that is normally steamed or poached. The majority of my use has been reheating fully cooked BBQ of all kinds and I do not think you could beat the results if you have the time to spend and give it some thought at the time of doing the vac sealing.

Sous Vide Strip. And mowed a good portion of the yard while it cooked!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 256
last night's NY strip...seasoned with s&p the nite before ad vac sealed with a pat of butter...yesterday had my son put in the "bath" at 4:30 at 130 degrees..I got home from office at about 6:30, fired up the grill and got changed...came downstairs and took steaks out..patted dry and applied a light coating of a coffee rub..onto the smoking hot grillgrates for a quick sear and dinner was served within 20 minutes of me getting home...would not have done this on a hot humid Monday nite after work by traditional methods..TASTY!!

Back