diagnose Weak gas output - Weber Silver C

littlebitty

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hi All,
I apoligize if this has been covered elsewhere. I tried to search the forums but was not able to answer my questions.

Basically I have an older Weber Genesis Silver C.
Over the last year or so it seems to have really slowed down its cooking abilities. It takes longer to cook virtually everything...steaks often seem rarer than I expect after X amount of time.

Can someone point me in the right direction to diagnose what might be causing this ?

The regulator looks fairly new and the tubes do not have holes.
Ignitior works and I took off the flavor bars and took a couple of pics of the output. On low and High. I didn't notice anything note worthy, though I am not sure what to look for honestly. The gas and flames go clear through and nothing looked plugged visually ( see pics below) When on high the thermometer reads 500. though i do not know where it is taking that measurement from. For some reaso the back right of the grill seems to be the hottest.

The flavor bars are older and have rust on them, but I didnt see why this would affect their heating ability? I think they are stainless steel but am not positive. Does the rust make a difference?

The grill is stainless steel.

I really would love to get the grill to cooking well again. I do not care about the cosmetics of it. and really haven't much $ to spend on it.

Any suggestions on what to try and replace or look for?
And its a propane grill...

Really appreciate any insight.

1st pic flavor bars.
2nd pic low flame setting.
3rd pic high flame setting.

Attachments

• IMG_6427.jpg
    IMG_6427.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_6429.jpg
    IMG_6429.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_6430.jpg
    IMG_6430.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 150
Stock answer, but did you check the spider guards and the far right end of the burners (under the control panel) ?

Looks like you have low output along with not enough air mixed in, which causes the yellow flame. After making sure that the spiderguards are clear and there's no webs in the tube, try adjusting the air shutter as explained in this vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUOohLAqOqMkhaEmlAcVfIpA&t=62&v=CPC95OK57S0

If that doesn't clear it up, then I'd look at the regulator as yak said.

Sounds exactly like mine when I open the propane tank too quick. I really have slowly break the valve open otherwise it goes into some emergency limited flow mode.

My gas grill did something like this once, had to clean it up some and it all flowed like normal again.

A few times when shutting down I have closed the valve on the LP tank but left the control knobs on the grill open. Resulted in limited gas flow when I started at a later date. Had to shut down, wait a few minutes, and restart. Worked fine after that.

This happens on my Weber Q from time to time. Seems to be centered around the valve on some propane tanks. Messing with it for a few minutes usually gets the flow back up.

Mine does the the same thing everytime if I turn on the lp tank when the BBQ valves are open. Make sure all valves are off including the side burner before opening the lp tank and see if that helps.

It's almost always the regulator....tap on it with the handle end of a screwdriver. Shut down and try again.

This usually happens when the tank is shut off before the burners are shut off.
The procedure I use is:
1. turn off all burners
2. turn off tank
3. disconnect tank
4. reconnect tank
5. turn on tank
6. turn on burner & light it

Straight out of the owners manual ...

weber%20trouble%20shoot_zpshh2rmh53.jpg

I have found that when you turn gas off to burn all the gas out of lines at end of cook. You need to turn all burners off ! Then turn tank valve on and then off. Now you are ready to light as normal turn gas on again then turn burner on and light. This works for me. Good luck but respect compressed gas.

I've worked on many grills and fryers that had problems similar to your. Sometimes the orifices will oxidize and it will slow down the gas delivery. You can clean them out with the appropriate sized orifice drill bit. Check for spider webs in the burner tubes or clogged screens in the air intakes. Wire brush the burner tubes to remove any rust at the holes. Another MAJOR cause of problems is with the newer couplings that screw on the outside of the tank valves. Most contain a flow limiter device in the coupling that is supposed to limit flow if it senses a surge or leak. If you open the tank too fast it can trip the limiter and reduce the flow. The limiter can malfunction as well and you have to replace the hose or coupling. You can still buy full flow hoses and couplings that don't have this flow limiter. Look on ebay. You would be amazed at how many good grills end up scrapped due to these new safety devices. Regulators can also go bad but it is usually one of the above issues.

Back