First Coal Smoker / First Post! - Simple UDS Build

usulsuspct

Found some matches.
Reaction score
This is my first post on the bbq-brethren site, I have been trolling for awhile checking out all the q-view live cooks and awesome smoking setups. I came to the site after borrowing a friends electric smoker and practicing on some chicken and ribs. I liked the electric for its ease of use, however I have always preferred cooking with coals so I started looking at coal smokers.

Something about the UDS smokers I saw caught my eye. So I started looking at craigslist for a barrel.

So it begins...

I found a "unlined" soy-bean oil container locally for $10.

HDbZfJp.jpg

Rented a "flame thrower" from the local rental store and cooked off the paint..

ApCTjcm.jpg

LPet3DU.jpg

After hitting the barrel with the wire wheel I got the rest of the paint off, sure cleaned up well.

xIB9vYw.jpg

At this point it was time to actually turn this into a UDS. Being my first build I wanted to keep things really simple and try and avoid going to crazy. So I added a few 1" air inlets, 1 of which with a ball valve. Some outlet holes on the top and some bolts to hold up a couple of racks. (I did drill for a cheap thermo, but havent gotten it yet.)

Tossed some high-heat BBQ paint on it....getting close!

zljONGp.jpg

Threw together a charcoal basket using some expanded metal and stainless wire (no welder...)

YQv5hUx.jpg

Final result...

BVYjkdb.jpg

I did a few hour seasoning yesterday and hope to start using it soon. I want to get a couple of small cooks under my belt then hopefully tackle a brisket. I wouldn't have even thought about trying this if it wasn't for all the great info on the forums - thanks everyone!

Looks like your ready to go. You might need to put a piece of aluminum tape over your probe hole. Not sure if the hole would let to much air or not.
Have fun!!

Looks like your ready to go. You might need to put a piece of aluminum tape over your probe hole. Not sure if the hole would let to much air or not.
Have fun!!

Yea, I drilled that for a grill thermo (1/2" NPT) - once that gets here it should fill up the hole. Just wanted to drill everything before painting.

Not quite sure what I am going to do with the outlet holes...maybe some magnets?

Yea, I drilled that for a grill thermo (1/2" NPT) - once that gets here it should fill up the hole. Just wanted to drill everything before painting.

Not quite sure what I am going to do with the outlet holes...maybe some magnets?
I have something much better than magnets. Go to Lowes (or a hardware store) in the hardware section with the drawers of misc things and look for the cork plugs. I've used the same one forever to plug the spot where i run my maverick wire and it works great. Very inexpensive too, i'm surprised more don't use cork plugs for the holes...especially the PBC people for their rebar holes.

Nice work. Congrats. As always I recommend you add a bottle opener. Looks cool and makes yoor smoker a true multi tasker.

Back