• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

July 4th bbq need advice

RiverDawg

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Smoking a couple of butts for 15 tomorrow night 4th of july. got started late today and thinking they will be coming off around 2am. can someone advise on the best thing to do with them between early this morning and tomorrow night. was thinking about wrapping in foil and putting in a cooler til tomorrow morning, then chopping them and putting them in fridge?? or is there a better way? any help would be appreciated by me and my friends…
thanks

You should be able to leave in cooler for 6 hours if wrap butts with foil and towels. Butts maybe pretty hot when you pull them out to pull/chop. Have a great 4th.

thanks Tim,
think I'm looking at more like 18 hours, so that is my rub so to speak. maybe wrap until the morning then pull/chop and go to fridge/cooler?? does that make sense?
thanks for the help. I'm just not used to making bbq the day before, much less middle of the night before.

If the cooler is sized to the butts and you can keep them in the coolers for a long time. Do you have a wired temp probe you can stick in cooler with butts to monitor temps? If so you can keep them in there at 140* or hotter as long as you need. If it drops lower stick them in the oven at 170*

I didn't read it good enough before. If they come off at 2am I would bust them up a little and shock them cold in a ice slurry in ziplock bags and refrigerate until tomorrow evening and reheat.

If they're done at 2am you can wrap in foil, cover w/ towels and place in a cooler until you're up in th AM. Pull those butts and then keep 'em covered in foil and wrapped in the fridge until about an hour before you're ready to serve. Spritz with some apple juice or apple vinegar and put them in an oven at 300°, covered in tinfoil. Check and "stir" every 15 min. until the meat is warmed through and ready to serve. Good luck!

I agree with the three posts above. If I was in you situation, I would pull finished butts at 2. Wrap in foil and towels in cooler. Get up 6 to 8 hours later and chop/pull. Place in pan or container and use plastic to cover to retain moisture. Take a nap, wake up and about 2 hours before I plan to serve remove plastic and foil pan. Place pan in oven and set oven to the warm or 170 and let it heat up. Splash meat with a little apple juice or blues hog Tennessee red. Curl up one of the corners slightly so bark won't get "gooy" don't worry I'm sure your friends will raving about your q!

Back