Cold Side Dish with Pulled Pork

happyappy

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'll be cooking for my son's rehearsal dinner at the end of August. Still working on the guest list but looks like somewhere between 80 and 100 guests.

So far the menu is pulled pork sandwiches; slaw; green beans (bride's request) and banana pudding for dessert. Given its likely to be hot that evening, I'd like to add a cold side (plus it's one less thing I have to keep warm!).

I've thought about potato salad or maybe a corn salad. I'd love your ideas and recipes if you don't mind sharing.

Thanks!

A grilled corn salad is a great option. Personally, I wouldn't look beyond that if you have a great recipe for that. I think you have an excellent menu, simple but classic already. The corn salad would just make it better. I prefer it to potato salad as it is lighter and more summery.

Another option some like is fruit. Personally, I like to put out chilled fruit for summer events. You can offer a dressing to go along with it.

anything "apple" goes good with pork. Mix applesauce and apple pie filling 50 /50 and chill Garnish the top with whatever

Tomato & Cucumber Salad
Is exactly what I was thinking - the tomatoes would be fresh and top-notch
at that time. I sometime sprinkle feta and olives and use a zesty Italian dressing.

My Grandmother always made a killer cold 3-bean salad that she would bring to picnics and family reunions. We use it often for catering events.

I know it's been awhile...but thanks for the replies. I'm looking at a tomato and Cucumber salad (even though I don't like either fresh!) and/or a fruit salad.

Thanks for the input...I would never have thought of the tomato and cucumber idea.

Cantaloupe and watermelon; can also add honeydew, grapes, blueberries, strawberries and pineapple. Use a melon baller, if you want to get real fancy.

More good ideas...thanks!

I did a couple test runs of some corn salad recipes that sounded interesting. My test tasters liked them both equally so I'll be preparing the one that's easier to prepare!

The test really did help. I assumed the more involved recipe would get the most votes, but I was wrong. Using the simpler recipe will save me quite a bit of time in the kitchen and a few shekels to boot!

My Grandmother always made a killer cold 3-bean salad that she would bring to picnics and family reunions. We use it often for catering events.

This sounds like a good one to try... Wanna share the recipe?

This sounds like a good one to try... Wanna share the recipe?

The recipe is pretty basic. But her "twist" was adding the fresh ginger and allowing it all to marinate refrigerated for a minimum of 24 hours before serving.

------------------------------------------------------------------

1 can (8 ounces) cut green beans, drained
1 can (8 ounces) cut wax beans, drained
3/4 cup canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon crushed fresh ginger

Mix all ingredients together and refrigerate for a minimum of 24 hours.

Note: If scaling this up you would not want to scale the ginger up in direct relation. i.e. if doubling use a little less than 1/4 teaspoon of ginger, et. If too much ginger is used as you scale up it can make the salad to "hot" and overpower the other flavors.

I like the apple idea, perhaps a waldorf salad? Apples, nuts, celery. Easy, delicious and fairly inexpensive to make.

Back