Old Country Pecos

smokestack willie

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Anybody that has one, do you have issues with the heat being way hotter at the stack end, most offsets are hotter by the firebox ( tuning plate - deflector options etc. I'm usually 30-50 dg hotter at the stack, just wondering if anybody else has this issues, I like hot spots but just not cooking space and rotating all the time, eh kinda sux. Lol

That's weird, so far I've never ran into anything like that on mine. Do you leave your stack wide open during cooks?

Have you extended your stack down to the cooking grate level, and are you using a baffle. What it sounds like to me, if you do have a baffle is its at too much of an angle and the heat is traveling in a v shape from the fire box to the exhaust. On your next run, see if the center bottom feels about the same temp as the exhaust side top.

Yeah that is weird. I usually roll with the baffle on the door half open to cook at 275. I've got a 6 inch wide steel plate on the baffle in the smoker extended to the bottom of the cooking chamber so that the heat down and around into the chamber. Keeps the temps pretty even other than right by the firebox. Could be a leak on the door near the stack.

Have you extended your stack down to the cooking grate level, and are you using a baffle. What it sounds like to me, if you do have a baffle is its at too much of an angle and the heat is traveling in a v shape from the fire box to the exhaust. On your next run, see if the center bottom feels about the same temp as the exhaust side top.

The old country pits are designed with the stack at grate level, unlike OK Joes, Brinkmanns, and other big-box offsets.

Yeah that is weird. I usually roll with the baffle on the door half open to cook at 275. I've got a 6 inch wide steel plate on the baffle in the smoker extended to the bottom of the cooking chamber so that the heat down and around into the chamber. Keeps the temps pretty even other than right by the firebox. Could be a leak on the door near the stack.

Any way you can send a pic of steel plate setup? I thought about taking the fb grate to make an extension of the baffle to keep heat lower but I think I'm still gonna have the same issue, I dunno

Yea, they built the stack at grate level, I think I'm getting to much draw if there is such a thing, no issues with bad smoke at all, actually would like to see a little lol.

With the plate on the bottom the hot spot on that side isn't as big. I get a nice even temp throughout with just the same draw as without the plate.

Attachments

• grate.jpg
    grate.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 102
Getting tuning plates cut as I type, 16x6x5, gonna do the reverse and go larger at fb end then get smaller toward stack. We'll this weekend, thanks for the inputs.

Back