OK Highland gets the call

viking72

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
New kid gets first commercial cook 40lbs of butts.
On @ 0845 325*F
10296645_779827225445150_4496336474467073833_n.jpg

One hour in.
10647226_779843455443527_2074185047870325580_n.jpg

I am using the 16" convection plate from Old Rusty.

Later,
Doug

I'm thinking of getting a Highlander too, so I'm curious how it'll do in colder weather.

What is the outdoor temp there and are you planning to drape a blanket over the cook chamber to retain some heat? Also are you burning sticks or running on charcoal?

Have a great day cooking!

Matt aka smokainmuskoka

Hi Matt, it was 32* at fire up, 46* now.Wind 5-10kts. Holds temp very well.
I start with lump, all wood after that.

Later,
Doug

New OK and butts look good. I like the removable shelf idea too. You can keep the snow though.

Can you give more details on your convention plate? Link or something please?

Thanks

Tom

Tom,
Check out the Horizon Smokers accessories webpage - they sell aftermarket convection plates for both the OKJ highland and Longhorn.

I was hoping someone else sold these. I ordered one last year and waited about 4 months and got nothing before I finally cancelled my ordered and figured I could get one from some other place..

Indy, I used the Horizon 16" plate laid on the charcoal racks. Worked fair.
I ordered the 18" from Horizon last week, have not had problems with them.
Hope you have better luck.

Later,
Doug

Indy, I used the Horizon 16" plate laid on the charcoal racks. Worked fair.
I ordered the 18" from Horizon last week, have not had problems with them.
Hope you have better luck.

Later,
Doug

So you received the 18" already? Maybe I could try reordering if that is the case..

Thanks

I ordered the 18" convection plate from Horizon 2/27 they shipped on 3/20.
Received and installed today, excellent fit.

11082567_792378120856727_4819807548560762249_n.jpg

Will post on function when I cook with it.

Later,
Doug

one tip I can give on plates on those pits is to give it time to completely warm up before passing judgement on it

When I had my OK Joe Longhorn it took a long time for the temps to even out

It is a heavy piece of metal to heat up for sure! :thumb:

Later,
Doug

Brother viking72, did you seal any gaps with hi-temp silicone to minimize leaks?

I picked up a Highland last Friday and was planning on sealing it up prior to final assembly.

Matt, I did not bother with any mods. I have found over the years that as a pit is used it will seal it's self. Cooking with wood I don't worry about smoke leaks much anyway.

Later,
Doug

Matt, I did not bother with any mods. I have found over the years that as a pit is used it will seal it's self. Cooking with wood I don't worry about smoke leaks much anyway.

Later,
Doug

smart

I think people obsess over leaks too much!!

Viking & BB, I appreciate both your comments.

I think I'm less concerned with minor smoke leaks and more concerned with unwanted airflow sources affecting fire control. I'd also rather do any mods first, rather than having to partially disassemble the cooker to fix a problem. I also want to get a convection plate.

Back