A very pleasant surprise

code3rrt

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I am very much a "traditionalist" when it comes to tacos. I'm talkin' ground beef, Schilling or Taco Bell taco seasoning, tomatoes, lettuce and cheese in a hard shell.

Well, I wanted to try something really outside the box(for me) for the Taco Throwdown. What I came up with was one, a chicken fajita taco, and second, a blackened trout taco with Mango-avocado salsa and habenero-cilantro Crema.

My-o-my what a pleasant surprise:icon_smile_tongue:, absolutely delicious! Here is the cook;
For the blackened trout;
TACOs%20003_zps27fu2xxo.jpg

For the chicken fajita tacos;
TACOs%20009_zps0wkqnisl.jpg

The trout with the blackened seasoning;
TACOs%20004_zpsctjvchyr.jpg

The Mango-Avocado salsa:
TACOs%20006_zpsohvqiuir.jpg

Some grilled chicken and trout;
TACOs%20014_zps4elchhn1.jpg

TACOs%20019_zpsbxixncxk.jpg

TACOs%20020_zpspciqfyta.jpg

Some plate shots;
TACOs%20023_zpsx4bro6ws.jpg

TACOs%20025_zpsiixuvcls.jpg

A little spanish rice on the side.

This was soooooooooooo good, absolutely loved it.

Thanks for looking all!

Keep on Qing:grin:!

KC

That looks great! Would love to be a judge for that.

If it's for a comp, I would suggest waiting until the very last minute to put the sauce on the salmon taco. Otherwise the warmth may ' melt ' the sauce, taking away from the appearance.

Can't say as I've ever seen "pink" meat trout. Maybe you NorWesters call salmon trout?
Ed

This is Steelhead Trout here is some info:

Q. What is steelhead trout? I’ve asked this question from a number of people and have been told that steelhead trout is salmon, or salmon at a young age, or — another species altogether. – L.F.
Steelhead trout’s pink flesh resembles salmon, but it is a different fish.

A. We checked the federal game and fish website, as well as the NOAA Fisheries Office of Protected Resources. The bottom line is steelhead is a trout, as one would guess from its name. And steelhead trout are a unique species.
However, the species (Oncorhynchus myskiss) belongs to the same family (Salmonidae) as do all salmon, other trout and chars. So, if someone says the fish is a salmon, that is not correct, but if they say it is from the family Salmonidae, they are correct. Just a little confusing.
Steelhead trout do bear some similarities to some Pacific salmon. According to the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, steelhead are born in freshwater streams where they spend the first one to three years of their lives. Then, they move out to the ocean where they spend another one to four growing seasons. The steelhead then return to their native freshwater streams to spawn.
“Unlike Pacific salmon, steelhead do not necessarily die after spawning and are able to spawn more than once,” says Fish & Wildlife.
Another interesting fact: While all O. mykiss hatch in gravel-bottomed,

fast-flowing, well-oxygenated rivers and streams, some stay in fresh water all their lives. These fish are called rainbow trout.

KC

"habenero-cilantro Crema."

Yep.....and I'm even tired of cilantro 'cause it's gets over-used in most of the restaurants here....

Great lookin' tacos !!!!

That looks great! Would love to be a judge for that.

If it's for a comp, I would suggest waiting until the very last minute to put the sauce on the salmon taco. Otherwise the warmth may ' melt ' the sauce, taking away from the appearance.

I just came up with it for the "Taco Throwdown", other than that I don't do any food competitions. I think the "formal" comps would be more stress than I need, whereas the throwdowns, while I guess technically a competition, are just about sharing some great ideas and having some fun:thumb:.

KC

Back