Insulating firebox with mineral wool

SonsOfSmOAK

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I have a 250 gallon tank with a setion of that being used as a firebox. Do yall think thats its possible to insert a 20" pipe in firebox and place mineral wool around and seal it. The original firebox diameter is 24". Ultimately its a 20" cylinder inside a 24" cylinder. Thanks for yalls help

Hmm...

I am not an expert, but I think as long as the air flow stays the same with the insert it should work. I have heard that the ideal fire box is 1/3 or bigger the size of the cooking box so as long as you have at least that big of a fire box, it ought to work. If it was cutting off any air flow, you might have to run it to see if enlarging the intake holes was going to be necessary. IMnotalwaysHO

Well the pit is a large offset with 24" round firebox. Picture a 20" pipe being centered inside a 24" pipe. Remaining space between 20" and 24" pipe would be filled in with mineral wool. I would then seal all insulation with 1/4 " . Other end is welded to cooking chamber and half moon heat exit. Still need a door concept.

Yes, I think it will work. I built an offset. 24x60. I started with a 22" pipe inside a 24" pipe with 1" of insulation. I did not like the insulation factor or the look of it. I ended up doing the 24" pipe boxed in with 2" of insulation and then building like a safe door. I do think that the 20" and 24" will work. PM your phone number and I will text you some pictures.

I think Aaron Franklin pits are like that, but no insulation.

Back