Old Country BBQ Pits SmokeHouse Vertical (LadyKickA$$) Mods

SmittyJonz

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Hook on her tail. First cook i had her tail capped to see if the difusser plate could double as a water pan but its too shallow and right over fire and water boiled out within minutes then grease pooled up in her tail and scorched and gave me Black Greasy Meat. so her tail stays uncapped and wears a catch can now.

The Smoker came with 3 grates with 4 locations. i like to run water pans or catch pans but didn't want to give up a cooking grate or location. So I tacked in some more angle and made a water pan grate. (my welding sucks - I borrowed the lil wire welder from work). I'll probally weld up a 4th cooking grate sometime in near future.

This is the Fire grate that came in it- plenty stout being 3/16" but the slits are too far apart ( needs twice as many slits) and I did have some ash build up choke my red hot coals out. I cut out the center of the plate 12'x12"ish ( tough cutting 3/16" with a die grinder) and tacked in 2 pieces of expanded crisscrossed. It's in there crooked but I don't care...........:loco:

Last edited:
Tomorrow she's getting 2 15 lb Briskets and 4 Slabs of St Louis Spares. :heh: Unless the possible freezing rain comes in, :shock: then maybe Sunday.......

Looking forward to hearing how these tweaks work out for you.

Just smoke through the rain, brother... completely worth it (IMHO).

Is the fire going yet?

That'll work. I have the same FB issuse withthe O/U's grate. I jsut got all the steel to make a proper grate.

Mr. Angle Grinder and a cut off wheel could add some additional slots in no time- it's become my favorite tool.:grin:

Did learn the hard way that if it kisses you- it leaves a nice "owie". That and those really comfortable mechanix gloves don't slow it down a tad. :oops:

Academy units would need fire grate modded and leave the tail uncapped. Additional grate and/or water pan up to you but I prefer it.

I saw this cooker in Academy the other day.

Smitty, are you running yours on sticks or charcoal? What kind of temps are you getting?

Sticks so far. Averaging 300*. 275-325* adding 1 split every 1hr -1hr 15 minutes.
I'm gonna build a charcoal basket and see how she does.

Back