How I light up my Offset Smoker

why??

Only the first stick.

I am confused. I watched the video and after you lit the charcoal but before it was burned down much at all, you added the dowsed stick :confused:. So I am not getting the benefit of squirting the wood and adding without a good layer of coals. Wouldn't you just throw the dry stick on after the coals are ready and you are getting ready to put the meat on? I am semi-new to Q and always looking to hear every side but if you are using lighter fluid, that seems like a waste of fluid to me. This is of course IMnotalwaysHO.

I am confused. I watched the video and after you lit the charcoal but before it was burned down much at all, you added the dowsed stick :confused:. So I am not getting the benefit of squirting the wood and adding without a good layer of coals. Wouldn't you just throw the dry stick on after the coals are ready and you are getting ready to put the meat on? I am semi-new to Q and always looking to hear every side but if you are using lighter fluid, that seems like a waste of fluid to me. This is of course IMnotalwaysHO.

I use lighter fluid to get Charcoal started and add a Dry stcik later usually. That Day I was in a Hurry so the first stick was doused and added to Help Smoker come up to Temp Faster as wood burns Hotter. :wink:

One log lighter (propane jetted), from Amazon.com
Regulator and hose from old BBQ grill someone put out for the trash.
A few sheet metal screws to plug excess holes.
One propane tank.
Two "wings" screwed onto end of lighter to keep gas holes oriented up.

I just slide this under my fire grate, light, and about 10 minutes later remove. NO lighter fluid, no nasty fumes, VERY easy to light a fire.

Attachments

• IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_0014.jpg
    IMG_0014.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 369
Ummmm... Well..... Smitty, I'm not one to argue another's ways... So, I applaud the extension of your teachings onto the Newbee's. I used to do the same and found that (for me) it created uncontrollable gas and diarrhea, which was a problem when spending long periods of time around the firebox.... just say'n... I had to move towards propane and cube lighters... (for me)

Never. Only the start up gets the fire juice - another split is burned before any meat goes on.

It doesn't get much more non-traditional than Smitty.

Only guy I know that sees a filing cabinet welded to a tractor wheel and thinks "I could make a smoker out of that".

:razz:

I use those "BBQ in a bag" thingies that Kingsford makes when I'm feeling super lazy.

Seen a bunch of guys who cook good q that blaze it up with lighter fluid super hot just like this. Couldn't taste it at all. A few good teams do it as well.

Smitty, I only see 3 things wrong with your method:

1. Lighter fluid
2. briquettes
3. Kingsford

When are you going to do a tutorial on the attributes of liquid smoke?

Luv 'ya...mean it,

Nothing wrong with this method long as you let it burn off before closing lid.

Smitty you need one of these brother, this will get your fire started right.

giphy.gif

This Texan takes it to the next level...Watch to the end.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCH_sTO1hoY"]How I fire up my offset smoker - YouTube[/ame]

I prefer 91% isopropyl alcohol for use as lighter fluid, buy it in the biggest jug I can find. More volatile so it won't burn as long, but makes a heck of a fireball. Also burns off very cleanly and quick.

Back