Time for a picnic (semi live cook)

Learning to BBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Had a picnic shoulder in the freezer that I've been waiting to cook up. Almost 10lbs ($0.99/lb :grin:).

Trimmed.....errr, hacked the skin and fat cap off

Rubbed with 'Butt Glitter Sprinkle', a recipe I found on here that Bludawg posted (courtesy of Pitmaster'T')

And into the drum burning Kingsford lump, and chunks of cherry.

Did some modifications this morning to add a 2nd rack so that i can have a water/drip pan. First time with water, I hope condensation doesn't collect on the lid and drip on the meat. Planning on running around 275, not sure if I'll wrap or not, we'll see.

Gonna make up some of Fwismoker's 'Famous Pulled Pork Finishing and Dipping Sauce' as well. This is only my second time cooking a pork shoulder. First time turned out good, so hope this one does too. Looking forward to see how the rub and the sauce work out too.

What should I do with the skin and fat? I'm not going to throw it out. Should I separate the skin from the fat, save the fat for making sausage, and try and make cracklins with the skin? Or are cracklins made with the fat still attached?

What should I do with the skin and fat? I'm not going to throw it out. Should I separate the skin from the fat, save the fat for making sausage, and try and make cracklins with the skin? Or are cracklins made with the fat still attached?

Never tried making cracklins but always wanted to try it! I think they leave very small amount of fat attached to it.

I just threw mine away, Last time I cooked a picnic I was gonna try to make something out of it but by the end of the day I didn't feel like messin with it.

At about 5 and a half hrs in, at 164 IT, figured I better foil it, with some apple juice, and back on.

Had about 2.5 to 3 of the intakes open (of 4) to maintain temperature, thought it was strange as its mild and not windy today. Once foiled I opened all of them and it didn't help much. Eventually the temp started to go down. Out of fuel :mad: So here is where it's at now......

I thought I had plenty of lump in the basket and I always overestimate as you can use the leftover next cook, but I'm guessing maybe the water in the drip pan was causing it to hog fuel. Oh well, it's dark now and I'm not going to fark with it. I'm at 7.5 hrs now and its 167 IT. Got the oven at 375. Could be a late dinner, lol :icon_blush:

Didn't have time to post the finish last night, was getting late and we were hungry. So here it goes.

Pulled it out of oven at about 197 and rested for 1/2 hour.

Pulled.

Sauced

Didn't want a lot of bun, so it was just a buttered slice of bread, toasted in a pan, the pork and slaw.

Was good! The finishing sauce really kicked it up a notch.

Looks delicious. I like the idea of no bun top! I'm not much of a sandwich guy. I eat pulled pork, brisket, stuff like that by its self most of the time.

Back