Chicken Gyros Del Rogue

Roguejim

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
The breast meat was first marinated for 2 hours.
IMG_20160717_154344485_zps9ou2wnqh.jpg

On to the fire!
IMG_20160717_190031441_HDR_zpssuue2dyt.jpg

Temp 550F.
IMG_20160717_190426148_HDR_zpssn02cpey.jpg

Hmm...
IMG_20160717_190634836_zpsy9jhvsm6.jpg

Some chicken was removed from the skewers and chopped. With a rice pilaf.
IMG_20160717_191755084_zps7fjapwgp.jpg

Yeah, it was great, with a home made tzatziki sauce. EAT THIS!!!
IMG_20160717_192124059_zpsaaumndef.jpg

IMG_20160717_192234137_zps1uobw0dy.jpg

Mind to post your tzatziki sauce recipe? I have still yet to find one I love. Food looks great!

Looks pretty good rogue. How much credit is due to your culinary genius and how much to the cooker?

First time doing the souvlaki thing. Definitely a keeper. Now, I need lamb.

The tzatziki recipe was based around the recipe below, minus the mint and shallots. Wife hates mint. I added some evoo, and ran it through a blender.
http://abc.go.com/shows/the-chew/recipes/gyro-sandwich-michael-symon

Fwismoker, the answer is within you. Keep on spinnin'!

Last edited:
Souvlaki (chicken, pork, and/or lamb) have all been winners around our house!

Dammit, Jim... It's bloody 0250 and now I want a chicken souvlaki in pita before I pass out... Looks awesome!

If others don't add tatziki recipes, CINCHOUSE has one that's been a hit for about 10 years. I'll post it up... if I can remember to check back (PM me if needed).

Dammit, Jim... It's bloody 0250 and now I want a chicken souvlaki in pita before I pass out... Looks awesome!

If others don't add tatziki recipes, CINCHOUSE has one that's been a hit for about 10 years. I'll post it up... if I can remember to check back (PM me if needed).

Yeah, post that recipe. Some recipes have mint, dill, or neither. I wonder what is considered most authentic?

First time doing the souvlaki thing. Definitely a keeper. Now, I need lamb.

The tzatziki recipe was based around the recipe below, minus the mint and shallots. Wife hates mint. I added some evoo, and ran it through a blender.
http://abc.go.com/shows/the-chew/recipes/gyro-sandwich-michael-symon

Fwismoker, the answer is within you. Keep on spinnin'!

Thanks!

Would love to see that one too. Place in town has a great tatziki sauce. Might have to go back and taste it again to try to replicate.

Sorry for the delay. Here's the recipe I promised above:

Ingredients:
1/2 cup plain yogurt (Greek style is better for texture, IMHO)
1 tsp minced garlic
1/4 cup grated peeled cucumber
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp Kosher salt
1/4 tsp ground red pepper (cayenne)
1/4 tsp black pepper

Anywho, CINCHOUSE says she typically doubles the recipe (except the cayenne).

Hope that'll give you folks a starting point.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot about the mint/dill thing. Yeah, I really like some mint in there somewhere. If not added to the meat itself in the marinade or sprinkled on top, why not in the tatziki!? You're not going to go wrong here... add the flavors that interest you the most and have fun with it. Mind you, a little dill will go a long way. Mint, on the other hand, is something I like to add a bit more to start.

Last edited:
Back