Poultry Brine Recipe

Duckboats

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Would anyone like to post up their Poultry Brine recipe? I'm looking for a good one for a chicken cook off against some guys at work.
Thanks.

I keep it simple...

1/2 C Morton Kosher Salt
1/2 C Sugar
1/4 C Soy Sauce
2-3 T Rub (Whatever you are going to use on the chicken.
1 Gallon of water.

Heat it just enough to dissolve the salt and sugar and let the rub steep for a few minutes then strain and chill before using.

If you don't need a gallon, cut everything in half to make a half gallon.

Blu's Bird Brine

1/2 gal water
1/4 cup pickle or table salt
1/4 cup honey
1 tbl cider vinegar
1 tbl Louisiana style hot sauce
juice of 1 lemon
juice of 1 lime
Brine the poultry for 1 hr per lb rinse air dry in the refer for 4 hrs to over night.

Mine is similar to the others here, with k-salt and turbinado sugar. But, I also add fresh rosemary and fresh thyme to mine.

I brine overnight, and the herb flavors really penetrate the chicken.

CD

I do a 5% salt to water solution by weight then add a couple halved lemons, some rosemary and thyme sprigs, 10 or so peppercorn and a few smashed cloves of garlic. 1 hour per lb.

Ingredients
1 cup frozen concentrated apple juice (1/2 can)
1/2 gal Ice water (lots of ice)
1/2 gal Hot tap water
1/2 cup Dark brown sugar
1/2 cups Kosher salt
2 Tablespoons cup Old Bay seasoning
1/2 tsp Chinese five spice
Juice of 1 lemon (Save lemon halves)
Juice of 1 orange (Save orange halves)
4 Tablespoons Worcestershire
Optional: Fresh spigs or Tarragon, Thyme, Rosemary, and or sage.

Bring the hot tap water to a boil in a non-reactive large pan.

Remove from the heat and add while stirring the salt, sugar, citrus juice (and citrus halves) and all of the seasonings. Let the mixture sit in the pan, stirring occasionally, until all of the salt and sugar are dissolved.

Let cool at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add the ice water and apple juice concentrate.

Gently submerge the chicken in the brine. It must be completely submerged, so add more ice and water if necessary. Brine for 4 hours

Caution: For food safety it's critical that the brine be kept at or under 40º throughout the entire brining process, so check the ice and add more as needed.

When i cook my chicken i don't brine. I might inject every now and then.

Trust me you don't need a brine to kick any ones a** at a chicken cook off. I'm sure someone here can back me up on that. The flavor and magic will come from cooking it right and the seasonings/glaze not any soaking.

When i cook my chicken i don't brine. I might inject every now and then.Trust me you don't need a brine to kick any ones a** at a chicken cook off. I'm sure someone here can back me up on that. The flavor and magic will come from cooking it right and the seasonings/glaze not any soaking.

I wish I could back you up on this, BUT!! I have tried it both ways, and even on the same cook with one bird brined, and one bird just seasoned the same as the brined bird. It was night and day difference between the two birds. The non brined bird was dry and tougher, but very tasty none the less. The brined bird was very tender, and juicy and had more taste of the rub throughout the meat. It was heads and tails (pun intended) better than the non brined bird. I wish it had been different, as it is a chore to plan ahead enough to brine my chickens before smoking them. (Yeah, I am a bit lazy nowadays)

I use a simple brine of just a gallon of water, one cup each of salt, and brown sugar. Haven't tried any spices yet, as when I got my brine recipe, it stated that added spices would not add to the taste of the chicken. However it seems as though the above recipes may prove otherwise. I need to experiment the next time I smoke some chickens, and add some other flavorings.

Blessings, :pray:

Omar

I wish I could back you up on this, BUT!! I have tried it both ways, and even on the same cook with one bird brined, and one bird just seasoned the same as the brined bird. It was night and day difference between the two birds. The non brined bird was dry and tougher, but very tasty none the less. The brined bird was very tender, and juicy and had more taste of the rub throughout the meat. It was heads and tails (pun intended) better than the non brined bird. I wish it had been different, as it is a chore to plan ahead enough to brine my chickens before smoking them. (Yeah, I am a bit lazy nowadays)

I use a simple brine of just a gallon of water, one cup each of salt, and brown sugar. Haven't tried any spices yet, as when I got my brine recipe, it stated that added spices would not add to the taste of the chicken. However it seems as though the above recipes may prove otherwise. I need to experiment the next time I smoke some chickens, and add some other flavorings.

Omar

Omar....What are y'all doing to your chickens... tougher and dryer? :noidea:

:frusty: lol. What ever works for everyone is what matters i suppose.

Maybe it is these Purdue chickens we have here in Ga.? Before moving here I would bake my birds in the oven with great success. Then I discovered this forum, and have gone from the oven to the smoker. Much better flavor when smoked. Maybe it is the smoke and the environment in the smoker that makes the difference. When cooked in the oven, I had no reference point other than how the last one I cooked had turned out. It could just be my judgement, although the wife is a brine convertee, and even does that part of the cook for me. ( she's a keeper!)

Omar

Maybe it is these Purdue chickens we have here in Ga.? Before moving here I would bake my birds in the oven with great success. Then I discovered this forum, and have gone from the oven to the smoker. Much better flavor when smoked. Maybe it is the smoke and the environment in the smoker that makes the difference. When cooked in the oven, I had no reference point other than how the last one I cooked had turned out. It could just be my judgement, although the wife is a brine convertee, and even does that part of the cook for me. ( she's a keeper!)

Omar

LOL, only one way to solve this once and for all. We gotta have a National Conference...St Louis MO that would be pretty central for everyone.

We could do a a chicken cook off with different techniques, then those winners go to the finals for the grand championship. :idea: :heh:

I wish I could back you up on this, BUT!! I have tried it both ways, and even on the same cook with one bird brined, and one bird just seasoned the same as the brined bird. It was night and day difference between the two birds. The non brined bird was dry and tougher, but very tasty none the less. The brined bird was very tender, and juicy and had more taste of the rub throughout the meat. It was heads and tails (pun intended) better than the non brined bird. I wish it had been different, as it is a chore to plan ahead enough to brine my chickens before smoking them.

Omar

I'm with you on this on Retired Trucker...... Brine is the only way to go for me, much more moisture and much more tender. It does unravel some protein strands making it more tender and giving it a better ability to retain more moisture. Just like brining a turkey, but on a smaller chicken.

When i cook my chicken i don't brine. I might inject every now and then.

Trust me you don't need a brine to kick any ones a** at a chicken cook off. I'm sure someone here can back me up on that. The flavor and magic will come from cooking it right and the seasonings/glaze not any soaking.

I'll back you up on this,.learning and knowing how to cook your chicken is better then any brined bird. I want to taste like chicken. Not salt, sugar, or whatever you put in your brine, learn to cook it right and stop wasting time efffort and ingredients on wasted effort, should go rub and smoke flavor to chicken flavor, Nor rub, salt, sugar, what ever else you bastardize it with,

Back