Jamaican Jerk CLOINK Balls with fresh pineapple and mango salsa

Ron_L

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you haven't been in the Throwdown forum recently, there are a couple of throwdowns going on right now.

Jamaican Jerk Cook-Off!

Just One Bite!

The cook below is my entry in both of these. Come join us! We don't bite.

Well, just one bite...

:becky:

Jamaican Jerk CLOINK Balls with fresh pineapple and mango salsa.

Ground chicken (cluck) with jerk seasoning and green onions wrapped in bacon (oink) and then grilled indirect and basted with a Jamaican Jerk sauce. CLuck + OINK = CLOINK :D

When we were in Ocho Rios in April I bought some jerk seasoning and some Jamaican hot sauce.

But... I can't find either one :doh:

So, when I went to the store to buy the other ingredients I found this...

14759865021_b67e0dbf8f_b.jpg

Uncle Joe's Jerk is a Chicago area restaurant known for jerk chicken. The sauce is very good and has quite a bit of heat.

For the chicken mixture I added three tablespoons to a pound of ground chicken and tossing in 4 green onions that were thinly sliced. The mixture was very wet so I also added some bread crumbs to help it hold shape better. I formed a dozen balls and wrapped each one with half a slice of thin cut bacon and pinned it with a soaked toothpick. Even with the breadcrumbs the chicken mixture was wet and didn't stay in ball shape, but I think they still looked good.

14763038995_89818baa9d_b.jpg

I cooked them indirect until the bacon was nice and crispy and then basted them with four coats of a jerk basting sauce made with the Uncle Joe's Jerk Sauce, a little apple juice and a little BBQ sauce to cut the heat.

14759865391_73da2bb1aa_b.jpg

14740038146_e9064fdf17_b.jpg

I also made a fresh salsa with pineapple, mango, red onion, orange bell pepper, tomato and cilantro to accompany the CLOINKS.

14576407668_3f89521217_b.jpg

14763039615_030581c45c_b.jpg

14576581077_cb641a4e12_b.jpg

14759866051_9dd1caaabb_b.jpg

And yes, I ate that in one bite! The CLOINK had a great jerk flavor and the sauce mellowed a bit when cooked so it had a good amount of heat, but not so much that my wife couldn't handle it. the fresh salsa was a great complement to the heat of the Jamaican Jerk CLOINK Ball.

Not a pineapple or mango fan, but I would DEVOUR them CLOINKS!!!! Nice work, Ron!!!

Man, that looks great, does each order come with around 6 spoons worth?

Oh man, those look farkin amazing!! Ron I think you knocked this one out of the park!

Back