Sweet Smoked Salmon - Pron

LongTong

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Found a good deal on Salmon filets. Should have bought more:

View attachment 109773

The brine was 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, 1/2 cup terbinado, and two heaping Tbs of Hawaiian sea salt to a quart of water:

View attachment 109774

The un-trimmed filet. Hence the low price:

View attachment 109775

The cleaned-up filet. Skinned it, trimmed it, and removed the pin bones and cut out as much of the blood line as I could on the skin side:

View attachment 109776

Cut into portions:

View attachment 109777

Into the brine and covered with a plate to keep the portions submerged. Placed in fridge overnight. Brine time was about 20 hours:

View attachment 109778

Placed brined filets on paper towels over old Bullsheet pages to dry for 3 hours in the open air. Made sure there were no flies in the house before leaving for a few hours. This step is important as it allows for a pellicle to form on the fish.

View attachment 109779

Into the Big Chief electric smoker. I've had this thing at least 25 years and only needed to order a new pan once. This smoker is my dedicated fish smoker as I don't want fish oils or any such seasoning in my other pits. It's worked great over the years. I have no idea what temp. this thing runs at. I know the flavor wood does generate additional heat at is burns down. Today, we went through a pan and a half of apple wood chips and the outside temp was 70:

View attachment 109780

The finished product after 3 hours in the smoker minus the belly pieces lost to the chef while checking for doneness.:grin: I decided to glaze and thought to myself "why not use the brine?" So, I reduced 2 cups of the leftover brine down to a syrup. Never tried this before but the syrup actually was tasty. Sweet, salty and a little fishy. It probably would have been too salty if more salt had been used for the brine. Bring to a low boil and skim a few times to remove foam and flotsam. Be careful as it boils over easily.:clap2:

View attachment 109781

Bagged two for the freezer and one for later in the week minus all the snacking this day:redface:

View attachment 109782

Thanks for checking out my post.

Last edited:
That looks so good! Had to look up pellicle, love learning new stuff! Of course now I am going to need a second smoker (doesn't everyone?) for fish....

Looks great!

Gave up trying to smoke salmon 4 years ago after not being happy with the result, despite brining and drying first. I may have had the fire too hot...was around 200-225 IIRC.

Like your idea of portioning up the fish before brine (I did large pieces of filet). Also like the idea of dedicating a smoker to fish only. Have not used my old Brinkmann in a while and might break it out again since it doesn't hold heat well and should be perfect for the job if I keep the fire small.

Looks great!

Gave up trying to smoke salmon 4 years ago after not being happy with the result, despite brining and drying first. I may have had the fire too hot...was around 200-225 IIRC.

Like your idea of portioning up the fish before brine (I did large pieces of filet). Also like the idea of dedicating a smoker to fish only. Have not used my old Brinkmann in a while and might break it out again since it doesn't hold heat well and should be perfect for the job if I keep the fire small.

I believe 140 is about the temp max, if you see a white substance emerging from the fish it's too hot.

White Stuff

I believe 140 is about the temp max, if you see a white substance emerging from the fish it's too hot.

In the three pieces that had fissures, the white stuff formed in the fissures after two hours. I figured they had reached 140 but just knew from experience that I needed to cook longer. There's no way to control the heat in these smokers. Here's a great review that's pretty much spot on about these smokers:

http://bbq.about.com/od/smoker_user_reviews/gr/Big-Chief-Front-Load-Smoker.htm

Back