cryovacs

Kaptain Kadian

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I was told by the guy in the meat department today, that the briskets they just got in would stay good for 45 days in the cryovacs. Seemed really long. Anyone else heard that?

Been told that it's fine to leave them in there and wet-age them for that long. I'm going to try it with the next brisket. Assuming I can stand to have one sitting around that long without cooking it... :)

I have let whole ribeye loins "wet age" in the outside fridge,in their original cryovac packaging for 40 + days after purchase,with no problems.I would think brisket would be the same.It sure enhances the tenderness and flavor,in my opinion.

You really need to know the kill date if you're going to wet age that long. You can wet age that long from the kill date, but if that brisket was packaged and sat for a while already, you would not want to do a full 45 days on top of how long it already sat. We wet age for a little while, but I've never done more than two weeks because I didn't know the kill date.

Agree. You need to know the pack date which is on the case when they are packed for shipping. If you get to know your butcher you can probably get that information.

You really need to know the kill date if you're going to wet age that long. You can wet age that long from the kill date, but if that brisket was packaged and sat for a while already, you would not want to do a full 45 days on top of how long it already sat. We wet age for a little while, but I've never done more than two weeks because I didn't know the kill date.

Yep... I regularly wet age briskets for 45 days past the pack date, but if you don't know that date I would go more than a couple of weeks.

If this is a butcher you regularly work with, you can probably go with what he is telling you. It wouldn't make for very good business to give you bad info.

KC

Thanks guys. I am going to pick up a couple of them tomorrow. I was wanting to get them for a bbq competition I am doing in a couple of weeks. They are prime briskets and didn't want to miss out on them. I was told he had 2 cases of them, so I am going to go pick out the best looking 2 I can in the morning.

for what its worth, I have wet aged brisket for 90 days from kill date. just make sure all of your cryovacs are tight without leaks. They can smell pretty rank, but they cook up awesome.

The aroma as soon as you open up the bag will be a little off after wet-aging for that long but food safety OK if held under good refrigeration

Just picked up 2 prime briskets. They are only going to sit for 2 weeks, so they should be good to go for the competition. Thanks guys.

Back