Rib cook

Qbert60

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Hey Brethren! I am in need of some help. I have signed up for a rib cook-off (mainly because I am jonesing for a competition) that is taking place a local brewery. We are cooking baby backs. We are given 5 slabs. We turn in 5 bones and distribute the rest to the public. Part of the comp is that we have to use one the brewery's beers somewhere in our cooking process. Marinade, baste, spritz, etc... Now, here comes my problem. I have only cooked in KCBS contests and cook St. Louis spares. I have yet to cook baby backs. I am looking for some pointers and tips for cooking baby backs hot and fast.

darkhorsebrewery.com - Brewery

I was thinking of using their raspberry ale to cut my sauce with. Does that sound good? Help?

About the way I cook. I use an offset stickburner and normally cruise at 300* - 325*.

The basics of cooking a rack remain the same, but, the time frame is compressed, everything happens faster by about 2/3rds. I like the idea of the ale cutting your sauce. I prefer less hoppy, more malty beers for cooking. I leave the Pale and IPA brews for drinking.

Use the beer in your foil. IMHO too much sweet sucks with beer any way.

My process would be rub, foil when you get your color (with beer and rub), cook till very tender. You can hold them for a while in that type of comp. Just get them back on the smoker for a couple of minutes before cutting and presenting.

If you are in doubt... cut a rib off and take a bite. You have plenty of spares (sad clown music).

Use the beer in your foil. IMHO too much sweet sucks with beer any way.

My process would be rub, foil when you get your color (with beer and rub), cook till very tender. You can hold them for a while in that type of comp. Just get them back on the smoker for a couple of minutes before cutting and presenting.

If you are in doubt... cut a rib off and take a bite. You have plenty of spares (sad clown music).

I like this idea. Here's the problem though. He told me that I have to have each rack trimmed to 50 total bones because he is selling tickets to people. 1 ticket = 1 rib. After the 5 for judging that leaves us with 45 bones. Some racks will be a little bigger, I really don't have plenty :(

Easy. Take a couple of extra racks for your cooks. If he says any thing say "Really, I can't cook extra while the fire is going, what if I give you a couple bones for your workers?"

Bet a plug nickel that they do not care less about you bringing extra meat.

Can I cook them higher than 250* and still have them come out good? Should I baste them to keep them moist or wait till the foil?

Are you doing the pro or amateur division?

We are signed up in the pro for Saturday.

edit: reading the thread see you are pro. Should be a good event but chilly.

I like this idea. Here's the problem though. He told me that I have to have each rack trimmed to 50 total bones because he is selling tickets to people. 1 ticket = 1 rib. After the 5 for judging that leaves us with 45 bones. Some racks will be a little bigger, I really don't have plenty :(

Our plan is buy a handful of tickets and "buy" a couple of our bones. I also figure I want to try other ribs up there to see what other people are doing so I was already going to buy tickets.

If they have a Wheat, I would take 2 cups of Wheat and 1/4 cup of Sunny D original. Put it in a spray bottle and spritz with it. Everything else = business as usual.

Our plan is buy a handful of tickets and "buy" a couple of our bones. I also figure I want to try other ribs up there to see what other people are doing so I was already going to buy tickets.

Well, since each rack as about 12 bones, we should have enough to taste. I hate that i am not a beer drinker, so I am bringing a beer drinker with me. Hopefully a good luck charm.

Hey Brethren! I am in need of some help. I have signed up for a rib cook-off (mainly because I am jonesing for a competition) that is taking place a local brewery. We are cooking baby backs. We are given 5 slabs. We turn in 5 bones and distribute the rest to the public. Part of the comp is that we have to use one the brewery's beers somewhere in our cooking process. Marinade, baste, spritz, etc... Now, here comes my problem. I have only cooked in KCBS contests and cook St. Louis spares. I have yet to cook baby backs. I am looking for some pointers and tips for cooking baby backs hot and fast.

darkhorsebrewery.com - Brewery

I was thinking of using their raspberry ale to cut my sauce with. Does that sound good? Help?

About the way I cook. I use an offset stickburner and normally cruise at 300* - 325*.
U will be fine at that temp, just cut your times down some.
U are gunna do a practice cook :idea:
Skippy where is the riboff at?
They lookin for more cookers?

U will be fine at that temp, just cut your times down some.
U are gunna do a practice cook :idea:
Skippy where is the riboff at?
They lookin for more cookers?

It's in Marshall, MI. They supply the ribs and I was told that I took the last 5 he had. I can't practice cook because it's tomorrow. Weather is supposed to suck as well. Look up Darkhorse brewery if you want to ask. Ask for Travis. They capped it at 25, but I was a last minute 17th entrant.

It's in Marshall, MI. They supply the ribs and I was told that I took the last 5 he had. I can't practice cook because it's tomorrow. Weather is supposed to suck as well. Look up Darkhorse brewery if you want to ask. Ask for Travis. They capped it at 25, but I was a last minute 17th entrant.

Yeah weather I think is going to be brutal.

I have everything tarped on the trailer and the 10x10 with sides packed.

What time is it tommorow? :sad:
I have to work tonight, I don't think I could make it in time.

you've got PLENTY of time for BB's. so, i'd play a bit. try mixing the rasberry with your sauce and see how it tastes. you could probably bring a couple racks and do a practice run, even, BEFORE you need to start your comp racks.

if you don't like how the sauce taste, i'd add their porter to my foil wrap.

i'd try both with a cook starting at 9A, most likely done by 12. giving you 5 hours for your comp ribs.

Holy crap this was one insane suck fest of a competition.

Well clarification event was a blast but the weather was a b****h.

30 MPH wind gusts (couple ez ups went airborne).
Sleet/rain/hail/snow all day long.
Sun for 10 minutes.
I could see my breath the entire competition.
Near the end everyone was drunk. Sucks when you are not drinking because you still have a couple hour drive home.

However all and all great turn out and great event.

We sucked ass. Well we were happy with our flavor but tenderness was elusive.

Those that competed were you happy with the slabs you got? Out of the 6 I think we were happy with one (maybe two) of them. The rest were skinny and nasty looking.

Back