Austin BBQ Trip

Jjnolez

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hello everyone-first post and I wanted to ask the masses about best places in Austin to get Bbq. I know Franklins is one of the best, anyone have other recommendations?

Skip Austin come to my house in Houston, save yourself the time and money, only disappointment awaits you there

Franklin's is alright - good in fact...but there are 500 people in line, only because 50 ppl start the line at 7am. Most folks waiting' in line at Franklins are there for the scene and be seen (or Tweeted, FB, Blogged, etc.).
Tthe BBQ is above average, and definitely the most sought after - but not the best.

LA BBQ (food truck) is better than Franklins - John Lewis, Aaron original right-hand man, is running the pits at LA for LeAnn Mueller of the Mueller family fame.

Lockhart, TX is a MUCH better experience if you're a real BBQ Guy - not interested in the scene or the hipsters - just interested in good food served by BBQ Folks in a country setting.

I'm not saying Franklins isn't "cool", it's just not the best - not by a long-shot.

Franklin's is alright - good in fact...but there are 500 people in line, only because 50 ppl start the line at 7am. Most folks waiting' in line at Franklins are there for the scene and be seen (or Tweeted, FB, Blogged, etc.).
Tthe BBQ is above average, and definitely the most sought after - but not the best.

LA BBQ (food truck) is better than Franklins - John Lewis, Aaron original right-hand man, is running the pits at LA for LeAnn Mueller of the Mueller family fame.

Lockhart, TX is a MUCH better experience if you're a real BBQ Guy - not interested in the scene or the hipsters - just interested in good food served by BBQ Folks in a country setting.

I'm not saying Franklins isn't "cool", it's just not the best - not by a long-shot.

I haven't been to Franklin's myself, but this contradicts nearly every other thing I have heard about the place, especially from other Brethren who have had it. That said, Lockhart has been overshadowed in recent years by the Austin spots. Still great BBQ, just not as good as Franklin's, LA BBQ, and Snows. I have heard that Snow's brisket is just as good as Franklin's. I have had LA BBQ, and it is quite amazing.

Well my experience is much different than what's been posted. I went to Franklin's, waited in line, ate, etc. and really enjoyed it. Most of the naysaying I've read seems to come from folks who don't seem to have been there themselves. I didn't see any of these dreaded "hipsters" when I went - I just saw a bunch of different folks, hardly any of whom fit that description. Now - to be sure - it is a long wait in line, but if you know what you're in for and you're ready for it, it's all good. The brisket is farking unbelievable. I really liked the sausage as well.

Overall, my favorite was probably John Mueller's. His food is phenomenal and the whole experience is kind of like being at a yard party. Lockhart is a must - just hit 'em all in a row. We went to Smitty's, Black's, and Kruez. There's another one called Chisolm Trail that apparently the Lockhart locals prefer. I'd like to check that one out one day. In Elgin, Southside Market and Meyer's are really good - especially for sausage.

I've heard good things about La Barbecue and Stiles Switch, but haven't been. I also hope to get to Snow's on a Saturday morning one of these days.

There's a really good site called Full Custom Gospel BBQ that has reviews of a huge amount of joints in TX.

If you go to Lockhart, go to Kruez and get the pork chop. One of the best things I've ever eaten in my life.

I have been to Franklin. Got in line at 7 am! Bring a chair and a book to read. It was worth every second! I'd do it again! The brisket and ribs were amazing. The turkey and sausage was nothing special. If you are going to Austin, it's a must do.

I highly recommend Snow's BBQ. It is in Lexington in the middle of nowhere and was the best Q I had in Texas. I went to all the lockhart joints, Franklin's (which was fantastic btw, don't listen to these guys) and a few others.Snow's is only open on Saturdays but they have amazing Que, good people and great outdoor pits.

Well my experience is much different than what's been posted.
I haven't been to Franklin's myself, but this contradicts nearly every other thing I have heard about the place, especially from other Brethren who have had it.

Let me clear the air to say, "It was good BBQ"...never said it wasn't - it just isn't the best. It's certainly the busiest, but not the best. I was there with Bubba from (Lockhart's Smokehouse in Detroi, MI and John Sweeney (also from Michigan and a BBQ Guy), and we all agreed that it wasn't very smokey.

i met Aaron, think he's a great guy that makes great BBQ - and I loved his joint, I really did. I just wouldn't wait in line again for it.

Brisket was super tender, not very smokey.
Turkey was dry, and they mopped it with butter right before they served it out of a pan that was filled with butter.
Pulled Pork was good, average.
Sausage was good.
Pies (made locally) were fantastic
..and the experience was great - nice staff, friendly hard working folks. I own my own joint, so i'm careful not to pick apart others - I just think this place is pretty hyped, nothing lives up to a 4-hour wait. Tim Mikeska recently said to me, "I'll wait in line 4 hours for only 1 thing in life, and it sure ain't Brisket!"

Well my experience is much different than what's been posted. I went to Franklin's, waited in line, ate, etc. and really enjoyed it. Most of the naysaying I've read seems to come from folks who don't seem to have been there themselves. I didn't see any of these dreaded "hipsters" when I went - I just saw a bunch of different folks, hardly any of whom fit that description.

Hold on one second. I know you saw one hipster, cause I was there.... :roll: I'd pretty much have to agree with this sentiment. Just a lot of regular folks waiting in line. It goes fast when you have someone enjoyable to talk to. Also, I wouldn't recommend Franklin's because it is so good. You can get really good brisket at other places. I would recommend it because it was unique. The flavor was different from anything else I've eaten. I know he says it's simple, like just salt and pepper, but I'm sure he's fibbing. I saw what he did with chicken and there is something up his sleeve.

I would strongly recommend LA BBQ. It was every bit as tender and juicy as Franklin's and the bark and flavor were wonderful too, but it was not different.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Not too far from Austin... go to Louie Mueller Barbecue in Taylor.

I like this place as well. It's been in the same building since 1959, and you can just taste 55 years of smoke in the air when you walk in...it's wonderful

My only complaints about Louie Mueller's is that if you don't get brisket sliced off a fresh slab, don't count on the sauce to give it life (and I rarely sauce). The sauce is really thin and doesn't really offer much to enhance the brisket as the flavor of the sauce wasn't a good fit for it, IMO.

The pork ribs were rather plain and lacked flavor, also.

The beef rib was the star of the show when I went! :wink:

Thanks for a few recommendations... Unfortunately I'm only there a few days but hoping to hit as many as possible. La barbecue, Mueller's, and Franklins seem reasonable in a day.

And thanks for the heads up about the chair and book

You won't be doing LA Barbacue, Mueller's and Franklin in a day. You can start at Franklin and figure on getting out around 11 (if you are one of the first 50 or so in line - get there at 8am or sooner). If you run right to Mueller's, which is just up the block, you can get his but he does sell out daily too. La Barbecue is probably your best bet for last item if you are really trying to hit them all in one day but I am sure they sell out as well.

Good luck. I have done exactly what you are doing and it takes a toll on your health and wallet! But it sure is fun!

You won't be doing LA Barbacue, Mueller's and Franklin in a day. You can start at Franklin and figure on getting out around 11 (if you are one of the first 50 or so in line - get there at 8am or sooner). If you run right to Mueller's, which is just up the block, you can get his but he does sell out daily too. La Barbecue is probably your best bet for last item if you are really trying to hit them all in one day but I am sure they sell out as well.

Good luck. I have done exactly what you are doing and it takes a toll on your health and wallet! But it sure is fun!

I actually rescheduled an app't I had with my cardiologist after my TX trip. :shocked:

And yes, we tried to hit John Mueller's after Franklin's and got there after he sold out. We went back to JM's another day and I'm really glad we did - it's not to be missed IMO.

Franklins and La BBQ are neck to neck IMO, both great. Louis Muellers is very good too, great atmosphere. Stiles and Switch is pretty good too, great beef ribs there with no wait! Pork ribs were just ok though. Hays County BBQ further south on 35 is very good too, not a long wait either.

View attachment 102363Ya are making me hungry. I did franklins first, the ribs/ sausage were great. Then lockhart the next,All of them! Kreuz pork chop ,wow! Then louie mullers next. My favorites were kreuz,louie muller. Aaron Franklin,super nice guy.picture is what happenes when you do lockhart in one day.

Last edited:
@jaskew82 I'm all in. I just have to convince the mrs and an other cohorts for a day or two of que

Back