Sorry for being a dumb A**'s catering wedding

pignout

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I am cooking for a friends wedding on the 6th and don't necessarily understand the calculators! There will be 300 attending and the menu is Brisket, Pulled pork, beans, Mac & chez, spud salad, and slaw. I don't have a problem with a few leftover as I would rather be a bit long then a pound short. I figure 8oz of total meat per person. Is that reasonable or to much to the point of being stupid? The sides is where I seem to have problems when I do these for friends. I figure about 1/4 lb per person of each which HAS BEEN fine for the beans but I am always long on the salads and im adding the Mac n chez. I have quit a few people asking for the recipes so Im quit sure they are edible. I hope this is understandable and any help would be appreciated. Oops, 1 more thing, Buns!!! How do you figure buns? The last three weddings I've done only about 25-30% use buns with there meal. 1 1more thing lol, Anyone have a to die for Mac and chez recipe, Im all about quality. Thank you so much, Kevin (DA)

1/4 lb per side is a lot, If you are figuring 1/2 pound of meat per person, and feel that is pretty accurate, then you can really be around 1/8-1/4 pound total of all sides. Few people can eat more than 3/4 of food at a social gathering.

1/4 lb per side is a lot, If you are figuring 1/2 pound of meat per person, and feel that is pretty accurate, then you can really be around 1/8-1/4 pound total of all sides. Few people can eat more than 3/4 of food at a social gathering.

This is good info w

I use a few equations for parties that might help you out. Typically I'm always long on beans and buns.

Two meats - 3 oz each per person cooked weight
Beans - 2 oz per person
Slaw - 2 oz per person
Potato Salad 2 oz per person
Mac n cheese - 3 oz per person
Buns - .5 per person

Depending on your recipe for the Mac you might be able to get by using a serving per pan calculation. When we do Mac a normal 2" hotel pan will serve approx 40 people. This is the one item I usually have a couple extra pans of because its easy to get rid of the leftovers.

Good Luck!

If you are serving it is easier to keep track but if it is self serve do yourself a favor and purchase some 4 oz serving scoops. They are cheap and will keep people from getting more than they can eat.

Can you guys tell me...when catering for 40 people and they want a two meat selection (tri-tip/pulled pork) do you make 20 lbs of pork and 20 lbs tritip...or enough total meat for 40 people? does this make sense?

Back