What sells the best at festival

DCsSmokinBBQ

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Trying to decide what to buy most of for a festival I will be BBQ'in for the first time.

My menu will be:

Spare Ribs ( 3 ribs per order)
Brisket (5-6oz portions)
Pulled Pork Sliders (3 at 5-6 oz of pork)

I'm thinking:
60% Ribs
15% Brisket
25% Pulled Pork

What do you guys/gals think?

Thx

I will be new to this festival gig too, can someone tell me what the average price is going for the pulled pork sandwiches, ribs,brisket? Thank You

I would go 60- 80% pulled pork, ditch the ribs, (unless you have a giant smoker),
and I would ditch the brisket too. I'd do sausages sandwiches instead.
And maybe chicken thighs. But Ninja's point is - walking around, it's messy eating ribs,
and thighs.. that is the logistical idea.

Last edited:
Ribs and brisket are my "bring people in" when I typically vend. Very little money to be made but putting faith that people will buy other things.

However at county fairs or flea markets pork LOIN is my big seller, followed by pulled chicken the pulled pork. But all of it is really close. Actually my number 1 item by far is my smoked pickles. Good mark up on them and only the kids coming strictly for them. Adults will get one and then a few sandwiches.

Ok smoked pickles.......Go to grocery store or Sams or wherever has large jars of whole dill pickles. Around here usually about $6. I have a A-Mazen tube smoker for pellets.. I have done this on my cheap offset but usually my pellet grill, but I think any grill where you can put tube smoker on one end and exhaust on other end so the smoke flows over stuff would work(this is how I do cheese as well) Dont fire up cooker, cold smoke.

I dump out the pickles in a foil pan and all the juice in a separate pan. Depending on mood, I either put pickles directly on grate on furthest end from tube smoker or on foil lined grates or if temps are hot out, we are cold smokin, I put pickles in foil pan on top of a foil pan filled with ice. Between the tube smoker and the pickles I put the pan of the pickle juice as well. When the tube smoker burns the smoke flows across the juice and the pickles. I have checked temps before and with the tube burning it raises the cooking chamber no more than 5* mine actually is almost always about 3* where the pickles are. After about 3 hours, I have gone longer and shorter but 3 seems to work well for me, I pour juice pack into pickle jar then add the pickles. Seal it up good, with the lid is fine but I make sure lid is all the way down. And then I put it in fridge for at least a day. I have held for a week before but usually dont.

We have been selling these for $2 a pickle. I have tried different pellets but find pecan seems to work best for me. We vend in our town every Thursday once the weather gets better and these sell pretty good but when we do events they sell very good. Like I said kids want them and will get just one if kids by them selves. But if with adults they get the adults to get them one and then the adults who wouldnt normally come to our trailer have come up and get one and then other stuff.

For us, what we did, or do if at unfamiliar event, to get them started is cut up a pickle after we are at event and either have a thing out for a free pickle or walk around giving samples.

I hope I explained to where it is understandable.

Thanks. Great explanation. I bet some deep fried version would be great to. The deep fried pickle chips are delicious.

I agree with above, both ribs and brisket can be real draws, but, are very hard to make money.

Pulled pork and Pulled chicken sandwiches rule the day for BBQ items. Chopped beef does well for some.

Tacos seem like a natural to vend Q meats. Does anyone go that route? Ideally you would use some type of flat top to cook the tortillas fresh but the possibilities seem endless. Pulled pork, chicken, brisket, chirizo tacos, quesadillas, burritos? A little more work but it would seem to lend itself to a legitimate way to use leftovers and still give people a quality product.

Had some brisket tacos from vendor a couple years ago at a fair. They were really good! Went back for seconds and thirds if I recall !? Had the brisket simmering in a crock pot. Tried to extract some info but they werent giving up anything

Had some brisket tacos from vendor a couple years ago at a fair. They were really good! Went back for seconds and thirds if I recall !? Had the brisket simmering in a crock pot. Tried to extract some info but they werent giving up anything

I love tacos vs the typical sandwich others will vend. We did chicken tacos at an event that went over quite well and the margins were great. Can't tell you how many folks came back for 2nd orders.

We also started selling pulled pork tacos the last couple times we've vended, they outsell regular sammies by about double.

Back