***March Special*** "Happy Meal!" Throwdown (Entry & Discussion Thread) Lasts All Month!

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our new March Special TD category is...

Happy Meal!

Entry%20Shot_zpssoe99sfo.jpg

This was Shagdog's entry in the 2015
"Happy Meal"Throwdown!

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

1. Cook one of your favorite meals that makes you happy! Background info on why your meal makes you happy is encouraged!

2. This is an open category, meaning you can cook anything you like as long as it confirms to the category.

3. Standard Throwdown rules apply.

4. MULTIPLE ENTRIES ARE ALLOWED and encouraged for this TD!

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 3/3 through
the entry submission deadline of 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 4/3/17.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 4/3

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns...

This thread is for all entries and general discussion of the category.

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][/FONT]
Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
Mod Note -

Guys, Please READ THE RULES for the throwdowns. If you don't tell me that its an entry I'm going to just assume you're just showing off, and the cook isn't going to get added to the polling thread. Also, please specify which image you want me to use or I will will choose at random.

Thanks

This is an entry -

Made a Sichuan soup I saw online this weekend.. Its called Yu xiang Pai gu mian, but we'll probably call it "that really spicy pork soup"

Here is the basic recipe - http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Sichuan-Pork-Noodle-Soup-1000092125

Changes I made.. I used country style ribs instead of pork shoulder because it was on sale and I figured I could get nice smoke and more bark.. Plus I was crunched for time, and they would finish faster.

Simple season - Garlic S and P

While those smoked I made the broth. I started with some shallots (not in the recipe) and then followed the recipe mostly (minus the pork, which was on the smoker)
I used Chicken broth instead of water, and added a couple dried smoked peppers to soak in the broth, along with some leftover collards broth goodness I had in the freezer.

Pork finished -

And Happy soup - Please use the below picture for polling

Because sometimes the happiest meal I can make is the one that makes the family the happiest. My wife doesn't need to cook and it is one of her favorite meals (1/2 loin with SPOG but with my little BBQ touch added. My kids both gave it the thumbs up but are smart enough to not compare it to Mommy's. Please accept this little bit of "HAPPY."

A couple of pics can be found here.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=244008

I forgot about this TD! :shock: Shame on me!

This is an entry.

This was from last weekend, March 10. This dish makes me happy because it is pork. Who doesn't like pork?

Grilled Pork Tenderloin on a bed of Cauliflower Mash with Grilled Zucchini and a Sweet Potato.

The tenderloin was coated with SirPorkAlot's Naturiffic Peppery Lime Salt and grilled to 135 internal and then rested. The zucchini was coated with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. For the cauliflower I cooked it in a little chicken stock and then mashed it and added garlic, salt and pepper.

33528249395_6326aa969f_b.jpg

Please use this picture

This is an entry.

This was from Thursday of this week

Crispy Skin Fajita Salmon with Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice and Haricot Vert and Roasted Tomatillo and chile Salsa Verde.

This made me happy because my wife hates all fish and seafood, even the smell, so I rarely get to cook it at home.

The salmon was coating in a little olive oil and Williams Fajita Seasoning. I grilled it on a sheet of foil to avoid "contaminating" the grill with fish :rolleyes:, but that gave it a nice crispy skin! I took it to 130 internal and it was nice and moist. For the cauliflower I sautéed riced cauliflower and garlic until tender then added cilantro and lime juice, salt and pepper. The beans were seasoned with sale and lemon pepper and cooked in a foil packet on the grill.

The salsa was 3 tomatillos, two poblanos, one Serrano, 4 green onions and two cloves of garlic all roasted on the grilled until charred. That was all blended with some fresh lime juice and cilantro.

33486877036_acf62e2748_b.jpg

33399901151_62822e99bc_b.jpg

Please use this picture

This is an entry for the TD.

Please use 1st pic.

Cooked this evening. 8oz Prime Sirloin and 4 - 15U shrimp from Costco. IMO, pound for pound, $ for $ the best steak/shrimp combo I can find, and I'm a Ribeye guy.

This makes me happy because this meal far out does anything from the local places. Beef and shrimp, cooked over lump and a lil mesquite, with a small side salad and a 7&7. All for under $10... I'm cheap ;)

Attachments

• SR5.jpg
    SR5.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 419
  • SR6.jpg
    SR6.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 191
  • SR1.jpg
    SR1.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 195
  • SR3.jpg
    SR3.jpg