• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Too successful of an event?

Head Foolz

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Okay, so here I stand on my soapbox. There is an event in my area/state that is really well run. So well run that newer teams or teams looking to try it for the first time are essentially locked-out. The event (name withheld to protect thyself) has a policy of accepting applications for the current year event, however, all teams that competed in the year prior get 1st dibs regardless of when they put their app in, as long as it is received by a set cutoff date. Now, if a returning team does not, there is a waiting list that the reps take from. This waiting list is anywhere from 10 – 100 teams deep, you only move up if someone is selected or does not pay the entry fee just to be on the waiting list.

You by now are saying no big deal and suck it up. Well my issue with not allowing first come first serve until the event reaches its team limit is; THIS IS A STATE QUALLIFIER. So the teams that are locked-in (per se) are placed in an advantage to earn points over other teams that are locked-out, trying for the state title.
We are a rookie team and are realistic on our expectations and even next year in our sophomore season, but we may need this event in year 3 or more.

Are there other events like this?

Last edited:
Okay, so here I stand on my soapbox. There is an event in my area/state that is really well run. So well run that newer teams or teams looking to try it for the first time are essentially locked-out. The event (name withheld to protect thyself) has a policy of accepting applications for the current year event, however, all teams that competed in the year prior get 1st dibs regardless of when they put their app in, as long as it is received by a set cutoff date. Now, if a returning team does not, there is a waiting list that the reps take from. This waiting list is anywhere from 10 – 100 teams deep, you only move up if someone is selected or does not pay the entry fee just to be on the waiting list.
You by now are saying no big deal and suck it up. Well my issue with not allowing first come first serve until the event reaches its team limit is; THIS IS A STATE QUALLIFIER. So the teams that are locked-in (per se) are placed in an advantage to earn points over other teams that are locked-out, trying for the state title.
We are a rookie team and are realistic on our expectations and even next year in our sophomore season, but we may need this event in year 3 or more. Just sayin….

New Holland went all the way through their wait list 2 years ago, with Sam's Laurel and Hampton Roads the same weekend I suspect they will again.

What he said....
I had no issues getting in 2 years ago.
Put your name on the list you might be surprised, you might even get a call last minute to compete...

meh. plenty of contests have waiting list and let the folks that came last year have first right of refusal.

We sent our app (New Holland) in January. Got a call 3 weeks after cut-off. We are in.

wallace(Don)

If the prestige of an event rises to the point where you have more folks that want to participate than there is room for, some sort of system has to be used. I've seen first come first served, first dibs on returning people and lotteries all done, and all can work. (both for Teams and Judges, mind you)

All I can say if you see an event that is this popular, why not see if you can replicate the things they are doing right at another event on another date? Sounds like the demand is there, you just need more supply.

My $.02 is if there's so many teams trying to get in every year & you've got a backlog, you might want to expand it unless there's a space limitation of some sort or it's already so large that it is unwieldy to handle ie American Royal type thing. I'd say it's a good thing to have demand but at some point that lack of supply to fill the demand begins to have a negative effect long term

My $.02 is if there's so many teams trying to get in every year & you've got a backlog, you might want to expand it unless there's a space limitation of some sort or it's already so large that it is unwieldy to handle ie American Royal type thing. I'd say it's a good thing to have demand but at some point that lack of supply to fill the demand begins to have a negative effect long term

There is no more room. Held in the town park and no more room available.

There has been a waiting list for New Holland for at least 4 years that I know of. But, as far as I can tell, they always go thru the list of standbys.

wallace

Green Lane, PA and Seaside Hts, NJ both operate in similar fashion. I was on waiting list last year for Que By The Sea(Seaside Hts) and got a call 10 days before the comp that we were in. Put the application in and wait.

Back