Curing pre-sliced pork belly

jcpetro97

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I was given some already sliced pork belly, which I currently have in the freezer because I had no idea how to cure it. A coworker said cure it in a bucket of salt and water for a long time. Then smoke it. I am skeptical, especially about the smoking part. So, my question is this.. I have a brine/cure recipe for canadian bacon, should I just do a wet cure using that? What about smoking the bacon once it's cured, do I cold smoke it? What about binding it all together with butchers twine, and smoking it on my smoker.

Any advise you all have would be great, since I don't have any clue. I usually get a uncut pork belly.

I'm not too sure I'd try any kind of cure for it. But use your idea using butcher's twine and bind it all up then just smoke it all. Shoulda said hot smoke it

Last edited:
I would be concerned about the consistency of the cure. Depending upon the thickness of the slices and how it is bound together, the curing time is going to be much shorter than a solid slab of belly. If cured too long in the liquid your product could experience nitrite burn from overexposure.

Most importantly, I wouldn't cold smoke it without a cure.
It would be more suited for hot smoking process to prevent food borne illnesses.

Back