BGE Advice wanted

Crotonmark

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hi All
Close to buying a BGE. I hope that you don't mind some questions

1- if loaded correctly how long can it go at 225*? Guy at the store said 6 hours?
2 - can it do a larger than a 20# turkey?
3- can the XL handle a full brisket? A 10# pork butt? What is too much food?
4 - any negatives I need to know?
Thanks all

1. easily
2. not easily
3. Yep, yep, kind of hard to define that
4. gasket sucks and they're expensive

My responses below...

Hi All

1- if loaded correctly how long can it go at 225*? Guy at the store said 6 hours?

My Large had gone as long as 26 hours at 240. I don't have an XL, but I think 6 hours is very conservative.

You might be pushing it. I have done a 16 lbs turkey in my Large and that was about the biggest I would go.

Yes to brisket, a 10 lb butt is nothing :-D You can probably get two on the grate with room to spare, and more if you get creative. Too much food is when the grate is full :D

The only negative is the size and weight. They are a pain to move, and you have to be careful.

Thanks guys. Gonna go XL. Does a larger turkey fit on it?
What about the new Weber?

Not sure if it matters, but I've had a lot better results cooking 14-16 pound turkeys vs 20 pounders. I've read others saying the same thing. Either way BGE's are great.

Yes the new XL's will handle one but I agree with the above advice. No idea on the new Weber.

The old felt gaskets were horrible. The newer ones are good but you cannot let the Egg get over 600*-650* or you are risking frying the gasket. Never leave the Egg with the top up and the draft door wide open or the temp can get away from you.

Great product. You just have to learn how to use it like anything else.

The old felt gaskets were horrible. The newer ones are good but you cannot let the Egg get over 600*-650* or you are risking frying the gasket. Never leave the Egg with the top up and the draft door wide open or the temp can get away from you.

Great product. You just have to learn how to use it like anything else.

Aren't you able to get hotter to make pizza???

Hi All

Thanks all

1. I've gone 18 hours with plenty left.
2. Possibly, but birds over 12 lbs or so don't have the same flavor.
3. A large can do it, so sure. I've done 17 lbs easily
4. They're heavy.

More than 5 years after purchase some of the best money I have ever spent. I have smoked a 15# brisket 20 hours on a large with one load of lump. Don't worry about the gasket, if you cook a lot at high heat a lot you might have to replace it every few years, replacement is a $20, 30 minute project.

What about the new Weber?

I was ready to buy the BGE XL until the new Weber. Toast already beat me to posting the links but it's certainly worth a look, I'm no longer buying the BGE.

I've never seen a Weber that sealed completely enough to extinguish the charcoal with all the vents shut. The BGE easily does that which makes a load of charcoal more than a single use situation.

You have good answers to your questions already. Having just gone through the search, I would strongly recommend a look at the Kamado Joe "Big Joe" and oval Primo XL as well as the Webber Charcoal Summit. Figure out what accessories you want and pice those in as there are some items included with some brands that will tack on a few hundred $$$ with another.

I am also super happy with my new Pit Boss "24" from Costco. It is actually more like a 21" and slots between the large and XL BGE. They are a fraction of the cost of the other's mentioned above, but there are a few areas where it is not quite as premium a product, and the odd size will limit some third party accessories.

I'm sticking with the Egg! It has never failed to represent!:thumb:

You have good answers to your questions already. Having just gone through the search, I would strongly recommend a look at the Kamado Joe "Big Joe" and oval Primo XL as well as the Webber Charcoal Summit. Figure out what accessories you want and pice those in as there are some items included with some brands that will tack on a few hundred $$$ with another.

I am also super happy with my new Pit Boss "24" from Costco. It is actually more like a 21" and slots between the large and XL BGE. They are a fraction of the cost of the other's mentioned above, but there are a few areas where it is not quite as premium a product, and the odd size will limit some third party accessories.

I hate choosing! :boxing:

I hate choosing! :boxing:

No reason not to get one of each! (As long as we are spending your money and not mine)

In the XL size, I really like the Kamado Joe. Overall I felt it was the best value of the big name XL's.The divide and conquer system and their hinge were IMHO far superior to the BGE. The oval shape of the Primo certainly has advantages with two zone grilling and fitting longer items. I can't imagine you would be unhappy with any of them.

So what did you do?

I'm buying the Weber when I'm ready to pull the trigger, the Misses was after me to go get it today.

My Smokey Joe closes tight enough to snuff out the charcoal.

Last edited:
Back