New cooker

DC-Q

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So I've had this 500gal tank laying around for about 10 years. I think it's about time I made a cooker out of it. Any of you brethren have any basic offset designs I can use? Or at least a whole bunch of advice? Gonna put it on a trailer, that's about all I have so far. Any help at all will be greatly appreciated.

tank.jpg

Saw one about that big...guy had a firebox on each end. Said he could keep it at 220 pretty easy....with something that big don't know.

Scott ( crossczek) has one that is 3ft dia x 8 or 9 ft long. Yeah its big, but holds temp like no other. It takes a while to get it to temp, but once there its easy on fuel and chugs along nicely. Hopefully he'll see this and post some advice, if not shoot him a PM.

That really a big tank I would mount a smaller tank on back for fire box. But be postive there wasnt nothing in that tank better be safe than sorry. Heck I prolly fill it with water anyway just to be safe

Keeping within the rules of the forum, PM me and I'll point you to another forum that has great old time craftsman that pride themselves in their smoker builds. Many are members here.

Saw one about that big...guy had a firebox on each end. Said he could keep it at 220 pretty easy....with something that big don't know.

I know a guy that built a charcoal spit out of one just like it and it really doesn't use muh fuel at all. But I already have a spit, I want a smoker.

Thanx for all the posts so far.

I did a quick search a few days ago for building a smoker and found a PDF book (yeah I printed it) on how to build a trailer BBQ from a tank your size. Just google these search terms "Smoker Plans"

You are looking for a 29 page PDF file.

I liked some of the ideas, hated others but the spirit is there. If you follow these plans, you should have a whole hog cooker for a few hundred. Especially since you already have a tank.

goodluck!

Back