What to do with leftover ABT filling?

S

Stachel

OK my ABTs (that means stuff jalapenos for the newbies :mrgreen: ) have been on the grill @ 230 degrees F for ~ 20 min now.

They are stuffed with Crab Rangoon filling a la Ron L's recipe in post #3 of thunderbelly's ABT thread:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19898

I have 1.5 cups of the ABT filling left. What should I do with it?

Maybe....

- bread crumbs around little patties of them, then bake?

or......

make more Turds... I usually by a couple anchos ar cubenelles to use for the leftover.. q/5 cups will just about stuff an Ancho.

Or...

lay out some chopped beef for the bottom of a super burger, spoon some in the middle, then put more beef patty on top and pinch the edges together.. Grill it till both sides are cooked. The burger thread in our roadmap has some ideas. We'll also speread it on a bagel for breakfast.

In this case, considering the filling you chose, you could always make Crab Rangoons! Buy some wonton skins and heat some oil to about 350 - 375, fill the wonton skins and deep fry then until they are brwon and crispy!

Let me know what you think of the Turd Rangoons!

I freeze it in a good zip lock bag and then when I make ABT's again all I do is thaw it out, cut a corner of the plastic bag and squeeze it out like a pastry bag right into the japs.

dante6969 said:
I freeze it in a good zip lock bag and then when I make ABT's again all I do is thaw it out, cut a corner of the plastic bag and squeeze it out like a pastry bag right into the japs.

Love the bag idea! Definitely gonna try it next time we make 'em.

I either heat it up for dip in the microwave or even better in a little crock in the smoker for a while to get the smoke taste.

dante6969 said:
That's exactly what I did!

Makes a nice schmear on a bagel. (Learned that at the bash.)

Ron_L said:
Let me know what you think of the Turd Rangoons!
Loved them! They had the perfect taste of "asian" + the delicious crab + the cream cheese makes them taste sinful.

I used 3 of them as negotiating leverage with an XY at work today! :mrgreen:

They were spicier than I thought considering how long I had them on, but my fire went out part way through so I had to re-start it, then it got too hot when I received a call right after restarting the fire, so I had to take them off. (incoming phone calls at the wrong moment have put a couple meals in jeopardy!)

However, it wasn't a huge prob - the bottoms (below the holder) got black, so I just pulled the black off and it was still yum, and the bacon was very crispy.

Crispy bacon is important because otherwise, bacon is like ham, which is so.. hammy ::ick::. (Totally like crispy bacon, don't like ham.)

My ABTs looked 2-toned when arranged in a circular pattern. :biggrin:

Great that evening, great as leftovers.

Many thanks for that recipe Ron!

Leftover stuffing is dip for the crackers!

Stachel said:
Loved them! They had the perfect taste of "asian" + the delicious crab + the cream cheese makes them taste sinful.

I used 3 of them as negotiating leverage with an XY at work today! :mrgreen:

They were spicier than I thought considering how long I had them on, but my fire went out part way through so I had to re-start it, then it got too hot when I received a call right after restarting the fire, so I had to take them off. (incoming phone calls at the wrong moment have put a couple meals in jeopardy!)

However, it wasn't a huge prob - the bottoms (below the holder) got black, so I just pulled the black off and it was still yum, and the bacon was very crispy.

Crispy bacon is important because otherwise, bacon is like ham, which is so.. hammy ::ick::. (Totally like crispy bacon, don't like ham.)

My ABTs looked 2-toned when arranged in a circular pattern. :biggrin:

Great that evening, great as leftovers.

Many thanks for that recipe Ron!

I'm glad you liked them! If you do find that the bacon on turds isn't getting crispy enough, just pre-cook the bacon for 20 - 30 seconds in the microwave.

Back