Need Ideas...

lcbateman3

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
We're having our church Christmas party this upcoming Sunday. As usual, I want to grill/smoke something.

I just want something new. Probably 150-200 people, but most people will bring things. It's all appetizers and deserts. I'm looking for more of the appetizers since the wife is making a desert.

So give me a good idea (other than MOINKs...nothing wrong with them, done them already though)

It's a little fussy for a large crowd, but lately I've been doing dates stuffed with goat cheese and almonds, wrapped in bacon. Smoked and served hot or room temp.

How about a spinach, artichoke, bacon, cheese dip using smoked cheese and then smoke the entire dish? the top gets smokey and brown. Dang, now I'm hungry...

Great timing on your post, Lionel. Got a family thing this Saturday but not that many folks. Making ABTs but want to make something else too. Those Rotel Cups sound good.

Smoked chicken ranch dip.....chicken smoked then pulled and mixed with ranch, hot sauce, cream cheese, etc. It's always the first app to disappear at parties...

Smoked salmon and cream cheese dip (with fresh dill, capers, onion etc) is always a hit...I make a basic brined and hot smoked salmon (I use the frozen fillets) and serve the dip with baguette rounds that I toast in the oven.

What did you end up making, Lionel? I made those "bacon and rotel cups" and they were pretty darn good.

Smoked salmon and cream cheese dip (with fresh dill, capers, onion etc) is always a hit...I make a basic brined and hot smoked salmon (I use the frozen fillets) and serve the dip with baguette rounds that I toast in the oven.

This!

Here's our go-to recipe (from Food Network's Ina Garden) for about the last 8 years (since we discovered it). Though, I suppose we cheat and use the store-bought smoked salmon. :mrgreen:

Depending on how much work you want to do, you can go the route of curing and smoking some pork tenderloin. It only takes 3 days to cure and probably 4-6 hours of smoking. It is SO GOOD. It'll come out like the best ham you ever put in your porktrap.

This is a dry cure with 1/2oz Morton's sugar cure + 1 tsp/lb of white sugar and 1 tsp/lb brown sugar. Rub on both sides of meat, seal up in a ziplock. Flip every 24 hours for 3 days. Do not drain off any liquid released.

Take tenderloins out, soak in ample water (2 gallons should do it) for 2 hours. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP lest you end up with hardly edible, very salty tenderloin.

Pull them out of the water, blot down, season with coarse fresh cracked pepper, place directly into waiting smoker. If you can smoke at 150, do it. Smoking over 170 will impact the quality of the end product as you will start to melt fat. Smoke it until you get bored, but at least 4 hours. Do not let temps of meat go over 140 degrees.

This is actually very easy to do, but the process is necessarily specific. I'm bringing this to my company Christmas party on Saturday.

Bacon jam...

http://www.food.com/recipe/bacon-jam-463068

6i44IE.jpg

This ^ is an eight pound batch I have going right now. I make a couple tweaks to the base recipe (balsamic, chipotle, sriracha & cabernet sauvignon)but it's good start. See you at the Betty Ford Clinic if you decide to give it a try. :loco:

We love Thai flavors. What about:

Chicken Satay Skewers w/ peanut dip... stuff on a stick is always cool-
and maybe a couple other dip options in case of allergies

Thai Meatballs... lots of recipes. Toothpick serve

Back