Can you make pulled pork from a pork leg?

Badjak

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
It's eaier here to get pork leg than shoulder.

Is it possible to make pulled pork from a leg?
And if so, what should be done differently compared to shoulder?

Here in the USA, the pork shoulder is cut from the top of the front leg, the pork picnic is the section under the shoulder cut. The picnic usually always has the skin attached, but I recommend removing the skin from the thicker part of the picnic to allow a greater penetration of smoke into the meat.

Don't throw out the skin, save it, cut it into chunks, and fry it in some rendered fat, it's really good.

Here in the USA, the pork shoulder is cut from the top of the front leg, the pork picnic is the section under the shoulder cut. The picnic usually always has the skin attached, but I recommend removing the skin from the thicker part of the picnic to allow a greater penetration of smoke into the meat.

Don't throw out the skin, save it, cut it into chunks, and fry it in some rendered fat, it's really good.
What he said... Good advice!

No problem it will pull and method is the same. I will slice a checker board pattern in the skin just like a regular ham and leave the skin on. I still get great smoke flavor. Skin comes off and we cook it down to chicharones

Last edited:
Back