Memphis

jestridge

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Thinking about going to Memphis for school fall break. If any of the brethrens had the opportunity to travel to Memphis what would be the first bbq joint they would eat at?

Rendevouz is the touristy joint, but they do have good cue as well. My personal favorite thing to do in West TN is to get out into the area and hit all the small joints in the surrounding towns! There is a small joint or two in every town around Memphis!!! Just pick one!

Here's a google map to help you find the places you want to try in the Memphis area.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=e...248214456398359998.00044634515458a611fe6&z=10

Barb-a-Rosa's is up in Millington on Hwy 51 just south of Navy road. Never eaten there but it's right around the corner from you when you first get in and you're jones'n for some que.

Places I have tried and would recommend:

BBQ Shop on Madison never disappoints.

I've been to Central BBQ on Central Ave but not the one on Summer. The one on Central Ave has good que but make sure you visit there outside of lunch hours or you will be standing in line for a while. Make sure you go there in the daytime.

Interstate on 3rd is ok. Usually take vendors there when they come into town because it's close to Memphis Int'l Airport. Make sure you go there in the daytime.

Rendezvous is more for the experience than the que. If you've never been, it's a good one to your list of "been there, done that".

Leonard's pit BBQ is a BBQ buffet that you can get your fill but it's more of your "fast food" type BBQ. Don't make a special trip for it.

Three Little Pigs is right around the corner from Leonard's and used to be a Loeb's joint years ago. Good que and no telling how much those ole pits have been seasoned.

Tom's BBQ on Getwell is good for takeout. Make sure you go there in the daytime.

The only chain restaurant I would recommend would be Top's on Union across from the hospital. Every time I visit someone in the hospital, I stop by there and it's always good.....for a chain that is.

I've been to others but those are the ones that popped into my head. If you want info on any of the others, let me know and I'll get you some more info.

Regarding those places that I listed as daytime only, I have lived in this area most of my life. I say that only because they are in rough neighborhoods and I would not feel comfortable going into that part of town at night without some extra protection in my belt.

If you are on the East side in Germantown, I would highly recommend The Commissary. It is a really old building right next to the railroad tracks and kind of reminds you of the movie Fried Green Tomatos. All the floors are brick and they have the best bananna pudding. It is a small place for locals and not a tourist trap.

Back