Cooking structure for contest with High Heat.

Mo-Dave

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Ok this may be in the wrong place but If one cooks high heat brisket at a contest and only has one cooker, how do you deal with the other meats? It would seem you would have to do them all high heat as well.
Dave

Ok this may be in the wrong place but If one cooks high heat brisket at a contest and only has one cooker, how do you deal with the other meats? It would seem you would have to do them all high heat as well.
Dave

Get/borrow another cooker.
I wouldn't recommend a hot & fast for pork shoulder

+1 on getting another cooker!

Where are you doing this contest?
Terry

No! Not yet anyway! But I was looking at a contest in Lebanon that you have to start at 8 am and done at noon!! WTF no low and slow here!

Terry

Ps: I live in Lebanon but work up at the lake. You might say that if you called 911 we might meet face to face!

Its all of nothing with one cooker. Good luck if you go to Jeff City.

Just a question, but how does Myron do his butts? All he does is "hot and fast"!

Terry

Why not? Hot and fast works just as well for pork as it does brisket....

It may work well, but I don't have any experience with a good pork shoulder that was cooked hot & fast (i have tried several cooked by others that were supposedly good).

Therefore I personally cannot recommend pork shoulder cooked in that manner.

The meat turns out ok..but the fat & connective tissues don't render properly in my experience, which is not as much of an issue with brisket.

Just my 2 cents..

It could also be a question of interpretation - what do you consider hot & fast?

300-325 is hot and fast in my book...

I walk regularly cooking pork that way...

Well brother.. I never claimed to know everything :rolleyes:

Seems like I could learn a lot from you, as I have not seen this pulled off successfully with shoulder.

Pork loin yes, shoulder no.

Questions:

Do you have to be real selective in the meat you pick to put in the box, due to the amount of fat left? or does your method render all that down like my low & slow method does?

For how long at 300-325?

Not being a member of the hot and fast club, I can only render my best guess for how Myron can be so successful with 4 hour butts and 5 hour briskets.

My guess is the key is what he always stresses as quality meat. For brisket, he's referring to his beloved Waygu, and for pork.. while I haven't heard him refer to a specific breed, I would guess he prefers something like a Berkshire Hog butt.

Both breeds have 2 things in common (if raised properly).. The meat has the marbling of a good ribeye steak. And the price.

The typical butt and brisket that I deal with usually has large hunks of fat surrounding large chunks of lean(ish) meat which is why it takes a low and slow cooking method to get the fat to render and get absorbed by the meat.
A nice waygu brisket or berkshire butt have thin ribbons of fat thru-out the meat.

I'm assuming that if the meat is marbled like a good steak, you can cook it nice and fast like a good steak.

..'course I guess the other method is to jack it full of as much moisture and moisture maintaining chemicals as you can and crank it thru the pit... cover it with tender-quick and call it bbq.
You only need a few good nuggets and/or slices out of a pretty big piece of meat to walk anways :)

I still prefer a low and slow Q personally, but whatever flips yer lid.

You could simply choose a middle temp and cook everything at 300 - pull the briskets and butts, then cook the ribs and chicken as the pork and brisket are resting in a cooler or cambro. BTW, you can start briskets and butts at 350 - but then bring the temps down to 300 for the final hours. That would allow you to cook high on the big meats then cook chicken and ribs at 300.

You could simply choose a middle temp and cook everything at 300 - pull the briskets and butts, then cook the ribs and chicken as the pork and brisket are resting in a cooler or cambro. BTW, you can start briskets and butts at 350 - but then bring the temps down to 300 for the final hours. That would allow you to cook high on the big meats then cook chicken and ribs at 300.

That sounds like a plan I could deal with on one cooker.
Dave

I've done butts at 325-350 at home, but never in a comp. The outer parts are just fine, and I think I could pull enough chunks to get in a box. The interior doesn't seem to render as well, but it still tastes fine. Just need to pull more fat off the meat when shredding. It works when I'm in a hurry.

I've done butts at 325-350 at home, but never in a comp. The outer parts are just fine, and I think I could pull enough chunks to get in a box. The interior doesn't seem to render as well, but it still tastes fine. Just need to pull more fat off the meat when shredding. It works when I'm in a hurry.

What if you semi parted the butt without completely cutting it into two separate section per kcbs rules.
Dave

I'm with the "Get another cooker" crowd. In my last comp. I used my offset smoker for the brisket, chicken and ribs, and used a Weber Kettle for the Butt.

Everything worked pretty well.

Back